Wednesday, April 25, 2007

SHARING A "SECRET"

Here’s a photo of me from the 25K that Don found at skinnyski.com. I was going to wear a hat, but then it was too warm – that helps explain my “great” hairdo.

Two more things about Trail Mix and then I’ll “let it go”. First, I love triathletes as much as the next person, but I can’t help but give them a hard time. I saw a couple of triathletes (and I’m sure this wasn’t limited to triathletes) during this race that were loaded down with enough drinks and gels to feed a small family. Apparently the 6 aid stations over the course of 25K weren’t enough to meet their needs.

Second, I almost hate to share this “secret” because I think it saved me a lot of time during the race. But, as a public service, I will share it; run the tangents. This secret applies to all races, but I think it’s even more important for trail running. On the trails it’s easy to get lulled into running in the middle of the path, where the single-track is beaten down. However, if you run the tangents, back-and-forth across the trail, and cut close to the tree-line, you can shave off a lot of distance – especially when you consider that trail races usually have more turns than road races.

Nothing exciting to report with my training today, just an easy 6 mile recovery run this morning.

I’ll close by inviting people to read my latest interview.

Quote of the day;

“The thing I have taken away from the Human Race [8K] is a reassurance that I can run at a level that is higher than I have in the past.” - Ed Whetham

1 comment:

brent said...

good points.