Tuesday, April 10, 2007

PICK YOUR BATTLES

One of the weird things about Pfitz is that after starting the week off with a recovery/cross-training day, he follows it with a double day of 6 and 4 miles. I assume he’s a big believer in recovery and that’s why he just doesn’t schedule two 5 mile days. But I thought he’d lean towards one 10 mile run instead of splitting that mileage into two runs.

It’s not really a big deal to me as each has their own pros and cons. The pros of splitting my mileage up yesterday are; 1) I get to sleep in longer, 2) it feels like another recovery day, 3) with a PM run, I’m more likely to do some strength training and 4) I don’t feel so guilty for watching TV if I’m on the treadmill.

So yesterday ended up being 6 miles in the morning with 6 x 30 second strides added in and 4 miles in the evening. This week’s schedule has two medium-long runs during the week, instead of just one. That means I was up at 4:20 today so I could get in a 13 miler.

Overall, I’m feeling pretty good. My right knee still aches a little, but not enough to bother me while I’m running. I was thinking about doing a 20K race this weekend, but I think I’m going to pass on that. The main reason is because I’m meeting some friends for dinner and I don’t want to be gone all morning and all evening. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Besides, Pfitz has a 12 mile marathon-paced workout on the schedule. 12 miles at MP is a different animal than 12.4 miles all-out. Maybe I’ll change my mind. We’ll see.

Quote of the day;

“You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you are going to go to bed with satisfaction.” – George Horace Lorimer

3 comments:

Evan Roberts said...

Every time I've looked at Pfitz's schedules that has struck me as the strangest part of the schedule. But you gotta follow the man, right?

MB said...

I would stick with the schedule, unless your body is telling you otherwise.

Ryan said...

So, Chad, you're following the 70+ mpw 18-weeker??