Tuesday, April 24, 2007

HEEDING MY OWN ADVICE

I’m still thinking about the 25K a little bit. Not exactly sure why, but it was a gumption builder – even though my overall time wasn’t great. Maybe it’s the rush of passing a bunch of people. Maybe it has to do with how good I felt, while still getting in a 22 mile long run.

Here’s an elevation (green line) map of Saturday's 25K that I stole from Brent.

I’m kind of kicking around the idea of running to 50K someday. Heck, I basically ran the equivalent of 3 laps, so I’d “only” have to run 1 more lap. I was thinking about running it next year, but if I go back to Boston, then there’d only be one week between races. That sounds crazy to me, but when I was talking with John a week ago, he said he set his marathon PR (2:28) the week (okay, it was 8 days) after running 2:33. And a couple of weeks later he ran a 50 miler.

Sunday I thought about trying to make up for missing Friday’s run. In the morning, I jogged a little with my dog and my legs were really tired. I decided to heed the advice I often give others; “Don’t try and make up missed training. It’s gone, just move on.” So I took the day off. Yesterday included two easy 5 mile runs.

This morning it was back to the prairie “track” for another round of 600m repeats. I’m not sure why Pfitz had me do 6 repeats the first time and only 5 this time, but I didn’t complain. I didn’t even bother to time them this time. I just ran “by feel” and thought about how I want to race this weekend’s 10K.

As I mentioned in a comment, trying to compare my two recent 25Ks is “fun”, however, since I didn’t race them all-out, it’s basically meaningless. Saturday’s 10K will be all-out and hopefully meaningful. My fastest post-college 10K is 37:32, which I set 2.5 years ago. Two years ago I ran 37:42 on this course. I’d like to break 6:00 pace, which is 37:18 and think sub-37 is even possible.

Quote of the day;

“I was drinking water a lot. [The weather] didn't feel too bad. Honestly, when you have a good day you don't really notice those things much.” – Ryan Hall, after his 2:08:24 debut marathon in London over the weekend.

No comments: