Monday, March 05, 2007

RUNNER'S LOW

I guess about half of Minnesota stayed home or left early on Thursday because the commute was a piece of cake. We were allowed to leave around 2, so I was able to hang out with my daughter on her birthday, as well as get in another 5 mile run in the evening.

Seeing how “everything” was closed on Friday, I slept in – figuring I wouldn’t have to go to work and I’d be able to run whenever I wanted to. When I called the office at 6:45 there was an automated message telling people the building would be open and that we should “drive carefully.” So much for running whenever I wanted to. I ended up hopping on the treadmill in the evening for a 10 mile run.

Ten hours later I was back on the paths for a long run. I ran the first 4-5 miles solo and then joined Evan for 13-14. When it was all said and done I called it 18 miles in 2:26. Spring marathons season must have kicked off because there were tons of groups out training around the Lakes and along the Parkway.

So I ended up with 81 miles for the week on 9 runs. I’d like to stay in the 80-85 mile range this week and then throw in a mini-tapper before an 8K on the 18th.

Yesterday my wife returned a video case to the library – without the video. I volunteered to return the video during my run. I put the movie in the waistband of my pants and 4 miles later I dropped it off at the library. Even though it was in a plastic zip lock bag, you may not want to check out The Rescuers Down Under from the Eagan library. Heck, with inter-library loan you may want to check that one off of your list for all of Dakota County.

I added on a few more miles and ended the day with 12. When I got home, guess what was sitting by the TV? The video’s case! Apparently she didn’t return it like she thought. Oops.

This morning was the opposite of a runner’s high. I was wide awake and had time to get in 9-10 miles, but everything (legs, weather and paths) was pretty miserable, so I stopped after 5 miles. I guess, with 30 miles in two days and 40 in two-and-a-half days, I should not be surprised that my legs were tired. Temps in the low 20s with about a 50 mph wind (okay, I’m exaggerating a little) and lack of plowed paths didn’t help matters either. I guess the city of Bloomington has spent their budget for plowing sidewalks and paths as the lake I run around was down to a single track packed down by pedestrians. Plus we’re at the time of year when the sun will melt the snow during the day, only to freeze at night. So the clear paths are usually covered with glare ice.

Okay, that’s enough bitching for a Monday.

Quote of the day;

“My responsibility is to get my twenty-five guys playing for the name on the front of their uniform and not the one on the back.” – Tommy Lasorda

4 comments:

afuntanilla said...

how the heck are you able to run so many miles per week? I can do about 40 and that's it. any advice?

Mike said...

hey zeke..props to you for turning out those mileage numbers with all those weather issues out your way.

We actually got the sun for two days in a row out here...amazing stuff. I'm really ready for summer.

Chad said...

A~

Like anything else you have to work up to it. You can't expect to go from 40 to 80 in a month.

I'd say find a stretch of 3-4 months where you won't be doing any racing (or at least don't care as much about your race results) and focus on just building miles. Bump your mileage for 2-3 weeks at a time and then cut by 25-50% the following week.

For example; 40, 45, 30, 45, 50, 30, etc. Don't be afraid to stay at 45 for a few weeks in a row. Just listen to your body and how it responds to the added stress.

To add the extra miles, first try running more consistently (i.e. 5 days a week instead of 4, 6 days a week instead of 5, etc.).

That should get you started.

Mike, yeah we just keep telling ourselves that it's the last cold snap or last snow storm. I guess that gets us through the days and weeks until Spring actually arrives.

afuntanilla said...

chad--thanks very much. that is helpful!