Tuesday, March 06, 2007

ACCURACY ISSUES

I saw an article written by the local running beat writer the other day and I thought about blogging about it. It looks like Evan beat me to it.

As I commented to Evan, my issues are; 1) He said Carrie Tollefon ran 5K in 19:30 (which would be about 6:15 pace – for an Olympian), when she actually ran 6K. 2) He said the U.S. women were 2nd by 16 seconds, but a few paragraphs later he gives the times; 2:14:48 to 2:16:04. I guess those other 60 seconds don't count. 3) Finally, and probably my biggest pet peeve, I’m pretty sure all "his" quotes came from other sources - he's just repeating them.

Oh well, what can you expect from someone who published the wrong URL for the Minnesota Distance Running Association’s website a few weeks ago? I guess we should be thankful that running is covered at all in the newspaper.

Speaking of writing, does anyone else ever get tired of the whole “blogging scene”? Ever wonder if typing up all these thoughts, feelings, ideas, etc. are worth it? I seem to go in these spurts where I wonder if my time and efforts could be put to better use. I guess it depends on what each of us hopes to get out of it.

If I just want to put my thoughts down on “paper” for myself, then this is the way to go. If I want to “reach” people with my writing, I probably need to shift my focus. It’s not that people can’t be reached through blogging, but I think that requires a lot of “marketing”. And I don’t have the time or energy for that.

As for training, last night I ran an easy 5 miles. This morning I decided to avoid the -3 wind chill and the icy paths. Instead, I opted for another easy 5 miles on the treadmill. Tonight I’m planning on an up-tempo workout too.

Quote of the day;

“The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.” – Benjamin Disraeli

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Blogging is definitely a personal thing. I do it for the inspiration and interaction I get from other people who feel similarly. I am sure you too get a lot from the blogs you read and those who regularly comment on yours. I don't think you are wasting your time.

Anonymous said...

I get tired of writing blog entries and hearing my own "voice" but I don't get tired of reading other people's entries. I thought about you (and your multiple layers for your hands) while I ran in extremely cold weather today.

I hope you won't see this as a waste of time, because we do enjoy reading your entries!

brent said...

i enjoy reading entries such as your own, but after a while i find myself saying absolutly nothing on my own blog so i quit blogging (but continue reading).