Monday, January 02, 2012

YEAR IN REVIEW

I wasn't planning on putting this type of post together, but got the idea from my sister-in-law.  I think it's a good idea to look back on the year to what you accomplished and what you wish you would have done.  Here's a look back at 2011 for me.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?

Travelled to Arizona and Brainerd, MN, took a Disney cruise.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Not sure if I made any specific resolutions in 2011. So, if I did, I’m guessing I didn’t keep them. I’m not making any resolutions in 2012, but I am going to come up with some specific running goals for the year. Things I can work towards and be held accountable for.

3. What is the most interesting new place you visited?

The Grand Canyon.

4. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

I’d like to rediscover a love of racing, especially shorter stuff. I only did 2 races in 2011, Birkie and Grandma’s Marathon.

5. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

March - it was the first time the girls’ and Amy’s spring break lined up, so we went on a Disney cruise to Florida and Mexico.

May – double crossing of the Grand Canyon (R2R2R).

August – first trip to Brainerd area.

December – overnight trip to Duluth, including skiing at Spirit Mountain, which was Katie’s first time skiing.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Running the Grand Canyon.

7. What was your biggest failure?

Not sure I’d call it a failure, but not getting all the way to the north rim still bugs me a little.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?

After R2R2R my right knee bothered me more than ever. Then in October my right foot swelled up. Between the two injuries there was a 5 month stretch where I only ran about 180 miles, total.

9. What was the best thing you bought?

We remodeled our lower level by ripping down a wall and opening up the house, along with new cabinets, countertops, lighting and flooring.

10. Where did most of your money go?

Remodeling project.

11. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

R2R2R and installing the new floor by myself.

12. What song will always remind you of 2011?

I listened to Disturbed’s Indestructable and Façade a lot while training for the Grand Canyon.

13. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a) the same, b) fatter – need to lose 8-10 pounds to get to my ‘fighting weight’, c) poorer on paper due to the remodeling.

14. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Taking pictures, reading, listening to new music, interviewing more local runners, learning something new.

15. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Procratinating. Playing meaningless video games.

16. What was your favorite TV program?

I don’t want much TV any more. When I do, it’s usually something on either the Discovery or History channels, like Pawn Stars, American Restoration, American Pickers, Storage Wars.

17. What was the best book you read?

I didn’t read nearly enough in 2011, but two of my favorites were both written by Laura Hillenbrand, Seabiscuit and Unbroken.

18. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Not sure I discovered anything musically in 2011. Although it is neat to see Katie start piano lessons and Kinsey take up the clarinet.

19. What was your favorite film of this year?

I don’t even remember if Amy and I went to a non-kids’ movie or not during the year.

20. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 42, but I don’t remember what we did. Probably ordered pizza.

23. What kept you sane?

This year, roller skiing kept me sane while I couldn’t run.

24. What’s the best thing you learned in 2011?

I’m a runner. Even though I spent much of the year doing P90X, taking spin classes or roller skiing, it all comes back to running for me.

No comments: