Tuesday, August 03, 2010

I MEAN IT

I “borrowed” this image from Steve in a Speedo because it’s true.



If you flip the image upside-down, it basically represents my weekly mileage – the huge dip representing what happens when I go on vacation.

We had a great time in South Dakota. We didn’t do all the tourist stuff, but we must have been close; Badlands, Wall Drug, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, Bear Country USA, Reptile Garden, Storybook Island, Cowboy dinner, Mammoth site in Hot Springs, Jewel Cave, and Laura Ingalls Wilder site in De Smet. Good times – I highly recommend it.

On the running front, I’ve been considering retiring from racing – again. This time I mean it. I’d still run 45 to 60 minutes a day, but I won’t have to worry about getting in long runs, running some arbitrary amount of weekly miles, or being fast. As long as I can keep my “killer body” I’ll be happy.

This is different in years passed, as I’m not worn down from training. I actually feel fine. I just don’t have any desire to race. It’s even more than that this time, as there’s not much desire to blog, write articles, or interview other runners.

Maybe this will pass, along with the hottest week of the year, but I’m not so sure.

Quote of the Day;

“I never retired… I just did other things.” – Edwin Moses

4 comments:

Jean said...

Sounds like you had a very nice vacation to SD! That is great. Couldn't agree more about the desire not to race, Chad. This summer has been miserable running for me (mainly weather related), and my last two races have sucked, and I am considering not doing the one I signed up for this weekend. I think I can at least partially understand where you are coming from. I am looking forward to fall already!

Beth said...

I'm writing down everything you did in SD as I'd like to plan a vacation with the kids there. You've just done all my research for me! I get what you are saying about the racing, but try not to make up your mind during this crummy weather. Let the door stay open in case your feeling change in the fall, or even later. I bet when your kids get bigger, too, racing may take on a new angle for you if you can share it with them. Until then, enjoy running your way!

SteveQ said...

Went to SD for the first time last year and did most of what you did. High point (literally and figuratively) was Harney Peak in Custer Park.

I get teased about retiring more often than Brett Favre, but I had a massive slowdown that led to not caring much any more about racing. I decided to take up ultramarathons, because it was a completely different world. I'm really really bad at them, so I retired again. Now I'm looking at turning 50 and the state age class records are on my radar - except Ratelle's 2:35 marathon is typical of the quality, and I'm only a few weeks younger than Digger Carlson, who'll rewrite the record books.

I found out the hard way that, if I don't have a race planned, I don't run at all, because I don't run socially or for health. So I sign up for something, but I don't plan on "racing" it.

Chad said...

How could I forget Mount Rushmore?

Beth, my wife did all the planning, but if you have any questions I'm sure I can get them answered.