Friday, May 25, 2007

NOT MEASURABLE

I was thinking during this morning’s 10 mile run that I must be the slowest sub-3 marathoner around. I took one split on the way out and saw 8:10. This wasn’t an easy split during a warm-up or the day after a hard effort. This was a pretty typical “putting in the miles” pace.

8:10s? Goal pace is 90 seconds faster per mile.

Now I realize I put more stock in long runs, tempos, speed workouts and races, than I do “putting in the miles” pace. But I can’t help but think about how slow these are, especially when I constantly read about other (slower) runners training well below 8:00 pace.

Would I be faster if I ran 7:30s for these runs instead? Would the other runners be faster if they slowed down? I don’t know the answers – just something to ponder.

Heck, the last 3 miles I dropped to 7:40s. The effort wasn’t that much greater, but there was a mental effort that’s required to get there.

This is my final big week before tapering and I was planning on getting 65-70 miles in. However, I ended up taking yesterday off to rest my knee, along with a new ache under my big toe. Normally, I’d run through those aches, but at “23 days out” I don’t want to take the chance of doing something stupid. The difference between a zero and a six in the log book, at this point, is probably not measurable.

If you have time, be sure to check out Chris Lundstrom’s latest journal entry.

Quote of the day;

“Training well requires so many things to be working in unison. Mastering the physical side alone is tricky enough. Add to that the mental and emotional side, to say nothing of the logistics of actually getting things done, and you start to see how tenuous optimal training actually is.” – Chris Lundstrom

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm mo def running 7:30s for the first half-mile of runs. Go with what the ol' bod wants each day and it'll work out.

Chad said...

I'm not talking about the first half-mile, I'm talking about entire runs...5, 10, 15 miles at 8:00+ pace.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking that for the last few cycles so I decided to push the pace this time through, getting ready for Grandma's. I'll find out if it helped in a few weeks, but right now I don't think I'm that much stronger physically but maybe mentally. I really want to break 3:00 this time through. Last time I tried I missed by 12 seconds.

Sean

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while. Interesting.

Leave the watch at home on the easy days. Why time an easy day? I've had plenty slower, and for reference, will be ... miles ahead of you at g-ma's. (I hope.)

You'll be fine.

Thomas said...

Well, I'm one of those slower runners who runs sub-8 pace for most of his training runs. I'm making a concious effort to run below that for most of my runs this year. Will it make me faster? I hope so. Will it hurt me? Possibly, but you never know where your boundaries are until you've either overstepped them or at least come very close to them.

I do have ambitions of moving up to your present race times one day. Not this year. But one day, if everything goes well.

Ryan said...

Granted, I am not one (yet), but I don't see anything counterproductive with a sub-3 marathoner putting in the occassional 10-miles at 8:00+ average pace. These runs are great volume builders that don't beat up your frame. You're still running at 70-75% Max HR I am guessing. Mixed with goal pace runs, tempo runs and speed work, I believe these runs balance us out. JMHO...!

massoman said...

i wonder about your knee; tracking problem from muscle imbalance in vastus medialis (quads) combined with active trigger points in the quads? hmmm...i just don't know without poking around.

i'm considering buying a treadmill and susan tells me you know about these things. any advice?

Chad said...

Sean, 12 seconds? Ouch. Best of luck this year. Let me know how it goes.

d, I've left my watch at home in the past and I did enjoy it. Now I use my watch more for telling me when to turn for home when I'm on the trails, than I do to take my splits.

Thomas, I hope it works out for you.

Ryan, good points, but I'd say I run these more than "occassionally". It seems like I'm running them all the time.

massoman, I don't know about my knee. It flairs up and then go away rather quickly. You can fly up here and poke around if you want.

As for the treadmill, I just researched treadmilldoctor.com and then did some research regarding what was available locally. I ended up with a Pacemaster Gold.