Thursday, September 07, 2006

STRESSED OUT

Is it just me or have all the blogger blogs been down every time I want to catch up on my reading this week?

Training update; Tuesday night I met my training group at Macalester College. As much as I’d have liked to run 6 x 1 mile at 30 seconds faster than marathon pace, I didn’t think that’d be a good idea the day after a 22 mile run. Instead I opted for a 10 mile run. I ran the first 3 miles with the triathletes. A bunch of them are doing IM Wisconsin, so they were all jacked up. The next 2 miles were solo and then I turned around when I bumped into Jenna as she was heading back. It felt like we were cruising pretty well during that last 5 miles, probably 7:15 pace or better. Since that was a little quick, I made sure to make Wednesday’s 6 mile run super-duper, ass-dragging easy.

Normally I’m pretty laid back. The one day of the year when I get super stressed out is the day of my fantasy football draft – which was last night. This year was even worse than normal. I don’t get worried about my picks, it’s just that I’m the commissioner and I get worked up over stuff like;

People showing up 2 minutes before the draft – when we have 4 people drafting online.

Saying goodnight to the girls in the middle of the draft while telemarketers are calling, pizza is being delivered, the dog is freaking out, etc.

Website and computer problems – over and over.

In the end the draft took nearly 4 hours, an hour longer than normal.

The “good” news is that I was so stressed that I couldn’t sleep this morning. I was wide awake at 5 AM, so I just got up and ran an easy 5 miles. I’ll double back tonight on the treadmill so I can flip back-and-forth between the Twins and the football game.

2 more things about last weekend’s race; 1) Compared to history it was a decent performance. However, it was 5 seconds/mile SLOWER than I was running in March. The idea is to get faster as the year progresses. 2) Looking at those times from the last 14 years, I can’t help but think; “Is this what it’s about? Busting my ass to stay in 6:00 pace shape?” Maybe it’s time to get serious or move on to something else.

Finally, best of luck to all the IM Wisconsin athletes. Between training partners and bloggers I know about 14 people competing. Looking at the forecast (62 degrees for the high and 40% chance of rain) makes me wish I were competing.

Quote of the day;

“The older I get the more the good times escape me.” – Ben Jipcho

2 comments:

Justin said...

I'm with you when it comes to stress and fantasy leagues. I'm not the commissioner of my league this year, but I drafted Ben Roethlisberger and then boom! - his appendix blows up on him.

Tigers vs. Twins, 4 game set....may the best team win. And may the White Sox lose every game from here on out.

Chad said...

Justin, that's why we try and draft as close to the start of the season as possible.

I'm a Twins fan, but would like to see the Tigers finish up what they started. All the sudden the Twins have no offense.