Wednesday, September 27, 2006

SLOWPOKES

I met my training group at Macalester College last night. Since most of them are running TCM (and with my recent heel pain) we just ran a moderate 55 minutes.

On my way to my group run last night I stopped at a local running store and bought the sock. I’ve used one with success for Achilles tendonitis before and it’s advertised for PF, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I loaned the one I had to my dad and I haven’t gotten it back yet.

Anyway, I wore it last night and my heel feels a little better today. It doesn’t ache every time I get up from my desk, like it did yesterday. The weird thing is my shin actually felt better this morning too, during an easy 6 mile run. Usually it takes awhile to loosen up, but it felt good from the start today.

Here’s an interesting “running with slowpokes” article that’s being discussed here.

I like Evan’s comment;

“I think that people would enjoy running more as a recreation if they built up to marathons slowly, and that more would become competitive runners if they slowly increased their race distances. If you're going from 0 to 26.2 in 6-12 months it's difficult for most people to also learn to race.”

This article was also posted on that message board. I haven’t read it yet, but my guess is that it’ll be interesting too – just based on who they spoke with.

I almost used Evan’s comment as the quote of the day. However, I came across two that I like better – both by the same guy.

“My training could be described as simple, non scientific and unmeasured. It basically consists of trying to run every day for as long as I can, considering my current physical condition. When I feel ok and have enough background, I run for 3 hours a day every day not taking note of the pace or the distance run.” – Ed Whitlock, the only runner over 70 to ever run sub-3

“It’s a bit of a bore, a bit of a chore. I don’t suffer from runners' highs. They don't exist for me. I train in order to be able to race well, I train to race. I don’t train for my health or for my enjoyment. If I didn’t race, I’m not sure whether I would train.”Ed Whitlock, who ran 3:08 last weekend at the age of 75

7 comments:

Triseverance said...

If there is no point in a "newbie" marathoner running for the experience and not being worried about finishing time. Then what is the point of Mr. Sherman's diatribe. Perhaps we should ban wheel chair racers, I mean no one expected a person that can't run ever to compete in a marathon. And age divisions, what's the point, it's all about the fittest and the fastest, if your to old get out of the way, don't slow down Mr. Whitlock.
This guy is an idiot and I can't believe he was published, I guess it makes for interesting discussion, stupid comments generally do.
Suprised you gave it run on your blog.

Lawrence said...

Keep us up to date on the "sock". I've thought of getting one for my pf pain and have wondered about its effectiveness.

Thomas said...

I agree with bob, what an idiotic elitist drivel. Why would it bother a 3-hour finisher if there are 100, 1000, or even 40000 slower runners behind him/her? The one thing I can kind of accept is that those slower runners might fill out all the places. But if there weren't so many runners there would be a) fewer available places and b) fewer races. If you really miss out on one big marathon, there is always another one close by, and that's thanks to the numbers of people running.

Runners should be glad that their sport is popular, rather than being seen as the domain of complete nut-cases.

Chad said...

One of the reasons I posted the article is because I thought it generated some good message board discussion. That's why I posted the link to that discussion too.

And, as I mentioned, I think Evan had a great point. It seems like people want to jump right in and run a marathon, rather than work their way "up the ranks".

While they may be able to more quickly check off "marathons" on thier list of things to do, they might have a different (better, faster, etc) experience if they take a different approach.

Yvonne said...

I agree with Zeke about the approach to running/racing marathons. The distance is not something to be taken lightly (I have never raced more than a half marathon) and I think the better and healthier way is to work up to longer distances by starting with shorter ones and racing them well.

I think the idea is to spend the least amount of time on your feet on race day in training, the faster pace you're able to train, the less time you need to be running. Hence training shorter distances before going long. That's my opinion but there are many ways to run/race a marathon apparently...

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness there are some compassionate runners out there (I was glad to see the comments here)! Clearly, Mr. Sherman IS NOT compassionate. As a slowpoke and newbie to distance running it is quite unsettling to think that there are runners out there who feel as though the slower runners have eroded the "racing" aspect of competing in marathons. In my younger years, I was a decent sprinter, and now I have re-channeled my joy of running, to trying long distances. Should I not compete because I can't run faster than a 10min/mile pace? Are my goals of competing to improve my pace not significant because I can't run a marathon under 4 hours? It would seem Mr. Sherman and maybe even Zeke would think I should challenge myself in other arenas and not "get in their way."

How exactly would you Zeke suggest, we slow and new runners, get shorter distances under our belts? My first marathon is approaching and I have run two HMs, a 10K, and a 5K, all over 10mins/mile. At what pace should one be deemed worthy to participate in marathons with under 4 hours runners like yourself??

Chad said...

I never said I agree with Mr. Sherman. Go back and read the discussion at hillrunner.com. I think "flightless" did a great job with his post. He stated, "It's not about speed it's about sport...
But for running to be a competitive sport you have to have sufficient numbers that are taking it seriously as a sport."

As for how to get shorter distances under your belt, I think that's pretty easy. You run more shorter races prior to tackling a marathon.

You say your a newbie, yet your talking about a marathon. How long have you been running, 1-2 years? Why are you so eager to jump in the marathon?

Speaking from experience, I jumped into tris and did an Ironman at the end of my first season. Looking back it was a huge mistake. I finished, but it basically left me not wanting to do another tri.

I just think if you started with shorter races and gradually worked your way up, you have a much more enjoyable experience. Plus you'd be faster - at all distances.