Saturday, August 20, 2005

GUIDANT 5K RACE REPORT

After jogging around and watching the women’s 10K this morning (more on that below), my injuries were feeling okay and decided to hop in the 5K. Since the men’s 10K was run as a separate race, I had plenty of time to warm-up. As I was heading back to change into my racing flats, I saw my friend Scott up ahead. Scott and I went to college together and ran very similar times during our 4 years together. In the past we’d get together about once a week and run together. Just over a year ago Scott’s wife had a baby and I haven’t run with him since. He said he’s been running 3-4 days a week and asked what I was shooting for. I said sub-19 or around 6:10 pace. I’d like to break 6:00 pace, but after my recent races, I don’t want to set the bar too high.

Standing on the start line, it’s apparent that “no one” is in the 5k. I see a few guys that look fast, but not more than 5. One of Scott’s co-workers lines up next to us and says he’s going to stay with us as long as possible. My comment was something like “that’s ONE strategy. I don’t know if it’s the BEST strategy.” I hope it didn’t sound cocky. I was just trying to point out sticking with two guys (who you don’t even know how fast they are) might not be the smartest race plan.

Anyway, the gun goes off and 4-5 guys and a couple of gals take off and Scott runs along side me. I should mention that it’s fairly nice weather. While the sunny skies are warming temps up by the 9 AM start time, it’s still probably around 65 degrees with no wind (and a pancake flat course). Scott and I go through the mile in 5:55. Just after a mile, Amy and the girls are cheering. They rarely come and watch me race, so that was a treat. A few seconds after saying “hi” I hear Scott say “hi” too, so I know he’s dropping back a little. It’s also around this point that a guy about 50 meters in front of me steps off the course. I’m still feeling okay after a 2nd mile in 6:02. There’s a guy probably 100 meters ahead of me and he seems to be coming back, but about a quarter mile later I feel myself start to slow down. Now instead of trying to catch him, I’m trying to not get caught by the lead woman (who I passed about half mile into the race) or Scott. Right around the 3 mile mark (6:10) the gal passes me and I have no response. I look back to make sure I have Scott beat and I cross the line in 18:48. My “out of shape” friend crosses about 10 seconds later. I haven’t seen results posted (I’m not even sure if they kept results) but I’d guess I was 5th overall.

Believe it or not, I feel pretty good about this race. And it’s not just because of my “new” positive attitude. Yes, it’s about 15 seconds per mile slower than my best time last year. However, I feel like now I know where I stand. I think I’ve accepted that this is the shape I’m in RIGHT NOW. Even though I ran 37:40 for 10K in APRIL, I’m a 39 10Ker at best RIGHT NOW. I think I was in denial before. What step is “acceptance”?

Alright, enough about me. The main event of the day was the women’s 10K with names like McGregor, DeReuck, Tollefson, Wells, etc. With the 7:30 start time and the course (2 loops around the lake), I was able to jog around and take photos at 4 locations (start, 2M, 4M and finish). Katie McGregor left little doubt as she already had a 50 meter lead by 2 miles. She went on to win in 32:17, beating the Minnesota record (I believe held by Janis Klecker) by 35 seconds and beating Colleen DeReuck by 36 seconds. Other Team Minnesota runners included Jenelle Deatherage 5th, Carrie Tollefson 6th, Sara Wells 8th and Dana Coons 10th. Training partner, Jenna ran a solid race, coming in 13th in 35:31. Complete results can be found here. I should also mention that Jim ran 39-flat in the men’s race.

One last comment; Carrie Tollefson is awesome – not just as a runner, but as a roll model to other runners in her home state. She was cooling down by herself as the men’s leaders were going through their first lap. At the same time, women were finishing the 10K in about an hour. Who do you think Carrie was cheering for? The woman. I just thought that was kind of cool

No comments: