Sunday, August 28, 2005

FARTLEK

I forgot to mention yesterday that I felt really good during yesterday’s run, even pushing my kids. I felt strong, even after 100 minutes, and could easily have kept going. Today I felt it in my legs a little, but mentally I was in a good mood about running. Maybe it was due to another day of glorious weather – very similar to yesterday.

Looking back at last year’s log, I noticed that I did a lot of fartleks. Since I haven’t done any this year I thought it’d be a great way to get in some speed (even on tired legs) and still recover in time for a hard Tuesday run. I can’t remember where I got this workout from, maybe it was from one of Joe Rubio’s online post somewhere. Anyway, after warming up I did 4 x 1:00 with 4:00 rest, 4 x :30 with 2:30 rest, 4 x :15 with :45 rest. The entire workout portion lasts 36 minutes, of which 7 minutes are hard. It makes for a great 8 mile day, but I did this as part of a 10 mile loop.

Yesterday’s run gave me 47 miles for the week. I’ve been all over the board, mileage-wise, in the last month (62, 38, 49, 22, 47). As Lydiard would say, once anaerobic workouts begin, training stops. The problem is that I haven’t really been doing many anaerobic workouts. That’s gotta change if I hope to get in some decent races in the next 2 months.

No comments: