Wednesday, December 28, 2022

HUNKER DOWN

If I go through with it, my next race will be in a month. I used to run the Winter Carnival half marathon ever year as a benchmark to see how my winter training has been going. It was a nice out-and-back course with some rolling hills. I haven’t done this race in a few years. When I searched for it online, I found that it’s going to be held on the State Fair Grounds and you can run 5K increments anywhere from 5K to 20K. This has me thinking it’ll a 5K loop run multiple times. Not exactly what I was looking for, but if I just want a benchmark, I guess it will suffice.

The last 2 weeks I’ve been including workouts from the Run Like a Pro book I mentioned in my last post. Even though the book has workout plans for 5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon, and ultra, the workouts aren’t that different between them. The book states that one of the more common mistakes that non-elites make is over-specializing their training for a particular race. The workouts listed within the 2-week recaps below were all run on the treadmill. Mainly because the weather these last 2 weeks has been quite snowy – on two separate occasions I’d say we got 6-8” of snow over the course of 2-3 days. This makes for really poor footing for your average run, let alone a workout. The second occasion of snow was followed by a week of temps around 0 degrees with a strong wind. It's times like that where I just try to hunker down and do what I can. 

While the treadmill can be quite boring, I will say that I do like having the ability to dial in on specific paces for harder workouts - especially when I haven't done "real" training in a long time. I was thinking today that it's been kind of fun to run a race and then punch those results into a calculator that tells me what paces I should be running for different workouts - then going out and executing them.  

RECAP OF WEEK 12/11 – 12/17

Sunday – 10-mile fat bike ride & easy 3-mile run

Monday – Strength + 2 miles easy

Tuesday – 8K skate ski

Wednesday – 6 miles fartlek – 1/2/3/2/1/2/3-minutes “on” w/ 1:00 “off” [1’s at 5K, 2’s at 10K, 3’s at HMP]

Thursday – AM: 2-mile shuffle, NOON: 5 miles easy

Friday – AM: 5-mile run, NOON: 7K classic ski

Saturday – Day off – daughter’s college graduation

Summary: 24 miles of running, 10 miles of biking, 15K of skiing and 1 strength training

 

RECAP OF WEEK 12/18 – 12/24

Sunday – 13-mile-long run (longest run recently)

Monday – AM: Strength, PM: 3 miles easy

Tuesday – Easy 4-mile run

Wednesday – 7-mile Critical Velocity (CV) workout – 5 x 4:00 @ 7:10 pace w/ 2:00 easy

Thursday – Easy 16-mile bike ride on trainer

Friday – AM: 2-mile shuffle, PM: easy 4-mile run

Saturday – 5.5-mile Max Aerobic Speed (MAS) workout – 8 x 1:00 @ 6:24 pace w/ 2:00 jog

Summary: 38.5 miles of running, 16 miles of biking, no skiing and 1 strength training


Quote of the day;

“The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.” - Rumi

1 comment:

Double said...

I noticed in Wisconsin many of the good long distance runners were also XC skiers. Getting ready for the Birkie was standard for them. It's part of the culture. It's the one thing I wish I "could" have made time for. Looks like you have stepped into the training zone .