Monday, August 12, 2013

WEEKS 7-9

Dang, where does the time go? It seems like I can’t even keep this thing updated every two weeks. Anyway, things are still going well since my last update. Nothing overly exciting, but I did get in my first 20 miler and I’ve added in some speed, as well as another race to report.

WEEK #7
Sunday: Day Off
Monday: 5.5 miles
Tuesday: 7 miles with strides
Wednesday: 12 miles with Scott – back to the Hyland trails
Thursday: Day Off
Friday: 10 miles
Saturday: Day Off

Total: 34.5 miles

WEEK #8
Sunday: 20 miles at Lebanon Hills, including 4 loops near the mt. bike loop
Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: 6 miles
Wednesday: 7 miles with strides
Thursday: 12 miles with Scott at Hyland Park
Friday: 37 miles commuting on the bike
Saturday: Day Off Total: 51 miles, plus 37 on the bike

WEEK #9
Sunday: 6.5 miles
Monday: 6.5 miles, including 5 @ MP (7:07 pace)
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 9 miles, including 4 x 1K at Como Relays with Evan
Thursday: Day Off
Friday: 6 miles
Saturday: 6 miles

Total: 39 miles

Yesterday I ran the MDRA 15K, which was my first race since the Garry Bjorklund half. Since I averaged 6:37 pace at that race, I figured I should be able to run a little faster. I did, but just barely, having run 1:01:34 (6:36 pace). Interestingly, I looked up results for other people that ran both races and the majority of them were slower. Of the 13 people I found, 8 were slower – like 10 seconds per mile slower. And four of the five that were faster were only 1-2 seconds per mile faster. The best was 5 seconds per mile faster. I’m guessing the sticky weather and twisty course were the main reasons for the slowdown.

I guess the main take away is that I’m still feeling good about my training and I’m looking forward to the last 8 weeks. I haven’t been able to say that for a while.

No comments: