Monday, February 13, 2012

FAVORITES

I thought I’d start out by sharing some of my recent “favorites”. This weekend I watched Ride the Divide, a documentary on the 2700 mile bike race from Canada to Mexico. I highly recommend this movie, even if you’re not a biker. If nothing else, the stunning images will be worth it.

My favorite part of this movie is when one of the guys that dropped out is talking to Matthew Lee who’s in the lead. The guy that dropped out is talking about the grind of being out there by himself and the mental toll it had taken on him. Matt’s eyes light up and he says something like, “That’s what it’s all about!” Clearly he has a unique perspective on the whole event.

Here’s the trailer for the movie;


Ride The Divide Movie Trailer from Ride The Divide on Vimeo.


I don’t have a physical list of my favorite athletes, but if I did, Amy Hastings and Jessie Diggins would now be on it. If you remember, Amy was 4th at the Olympic Trials Marathon and prior to that, she ran 2:27 at Los Angeles . Jessie is from Minnesota and at 19 or 20 years old is already one of the top cross country skiers in the world. Of course, it doesn’t hurt they these two are super cute. Seriously, if Jessie doesn’t get you to like cross country skiing, nothing will.

Here’s a video of Jessie from earlier this year.



And speaking of favorites, Lauren Fleshman has been on my list for a while. Here’s a speech she gave recently about being a dreamer.



As for me, I backed my mileage off to 44 miles last week. Today I took advantage of a vacation day and the fact that we don’t have any snow and I hit the local track for a workout. I ended up running 8 x 400 at 2 mile pace with a 200m jog in between. The last time I tried this workout was the day after Christmas. It was 50 degree, which was nice, but I was running on a dirt track and the warm conditions made it soft and slow. Today I jumped the fence at the local high school and race on the mondo surface. Overall, I averaged around 1:32, which is at the slower end of what McMillan’s Calculator says I should be able to run. That’s fine with me. I’m sure I could have run them in 1:30 or less, but I kept repeating, “stay in control” the whole time.

An interesting thing I noticed when looking at this calculator – although my WAVA % is higher for my mile race than my half marathon race, McMillan ranks my half marathon as a better performance.

Quote of the day;

"I was really happy to get the record. It's been a big goal of mine for quite awhile. I wasn't in the best position for the first half of the race and was boxed in against the rail, but I just had to be patient and make passes when things opened up. I probably wasted a lot of energy fighting for position, so I would have liked to have gone a bit faster, but I was happy with the race." – BYU’s Miles Batty after setting an indoor collegiate record for the mile in 3:54.54

No comments: