Monday, May 02, 2011

WELL AWARE

It’s been awhile. A couple of weeks ago I had a bunch to say, but no time to get things written. Last week I had time, but forgot all the things I wanted to say. In any case, “race week” is upon us. The current group sits at 14 and we are flying out on Thursday. If nothing else, I’m looking forward to running in shorts. Seriously, it’s May 2nd and during this morning’s run it was 36 degrees. I had on pants, a jacket, a winter hat and mittens – and I wasn’t over dressed. The only thing worse than the weather, locally, is the play of our beloved Minnesota Twins. If you don’t follow baseball, I won’t bore you with the details. If you do, then you probably already know the story.

I haven't done much Canyon-specific training since my last post. The only “real” workout I’ve done was 90 minutes worth of hill repeats at the Hyland ski hill. Other than that it’s all been maintenance runs. I thought about doing one of two separate 50K races, but family things got in the way. I thought about another solo long run, but that never happened either. I’ve been a little concerned about my right knee lately. I’ve had some chronic pain that flares up from time to time. It’s been “active” the last few weeks. I’m sure running down Hyland didn’t help matters. So far it doesn’t get any worse, so we’ll see what happens.

Two weeks ago I was really freaked out and worried about this whole adventure. However, I figured sitting around worrying about it for 3 weeks wouldn’t help anything, so I’ve just accepted where I’m at. I’ll enjoy the adventure and deal with things on “race day”.

One thing I wish I’d have done differently is kept my mouth shut at work. I mention the trip to a co-worker that runs and now a bunch of people keep asking me about it. You’d think that someone who (occasionally) blogs would be okay with talking about this stuff, but I’d rather keep it to myself. I mean, who wants to hear about how crazy this thing sounds from other people. I’m well aware.

Speaking of crazy, I recently picked up a copy of Outdoor magazine and they had a list of like 10 people doing really crazy stuff, like spending over 2 years walking 4,000 miles through the Amazon. Each one of the people made running 44 miles through the Grand Canyon seem like a cake walk. I’m going to re-read their adventures on the plane and keep them in mind while I run.

Quote of the Day;
“If I’m looking better than he is, then he must be dead.” – Jeff Tinley racing Scott Molina

1 comment:

Thomas said...

With your background of many years of running and countless miles, you will be just fine in that canyon!