Wednesday, July 25, 2007

PLEASE EXPLAIN

Let me just say that while I enjoy watching the Tour de France, I do so under the assumption that all the riders are dirty. That way, when I see articles like this, I just think it’s par for the course.

Last night I ventured outside for my run since the Tour had a day off and the Twins aren’t worth watching. [Someone please explain to me how a team with a reigning Cy Young winner, league MVP, batting champ and Golden Glove center fielder (who’s in a contract year) can only play .500 ball]. I headed out for my run not knowing if I’d go 5 miles or 10 miles. Seeing how I immediately felt tired (either from the previous day’s tempo or the hot and muggy conditions – or a combination), I opted for the mere 5 miles.

About a mile and a half into the run, I bumped into Jen, whom I first met about 4 years ago when I was doing triathlons. Now I like to give triathletes crap as much as the next person, but Jen is cool. She’s one of those people that would make a great training partner, especially since she lives about a half mile from me and has like a 3:11 marathon PR, which she set a month after an Ironman – so she’s tough. However, our work and run schedules don’t match at all. I had to settle for just turning around and running back with her, before adding on a couple of miles in my neighborhood.

Here’s a story from my vacation that I keep forgetting to tell. I’m at the eye doctor’s office and he’s got a poster up from the reality TV show Grease. It turns out his daughter is the gal that won the competition and now she’s in NYC preparing for Broadway. I thought that was pretty neat - it's something you don't come across every day.

Finally, check out Chris Lundstrom’s latest journal entry as he prepares to run the marathon at the Pan Am Games.

Quote of the day;

“As much as I love to run, there are days when the second 10 mile run of the day has very little appeal, whereas the couch and spacing out to re-runs of Seinfeld look really great. I rarely give in to those urges to slack off, and while there are more talented runners than me out there, I always feel confident in the work that I have put in. It will be very exciting to see how I can stack up against the other marathoners of the Americas.” – Chris Lundstrom

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Jen sounds like a stud!

Tour cyclists are dirrrrrty.

Riddle me this: how do I go to watch a game last night to see CC Sabathia strike out 7 and give up one run...and get the LOSS?!

Grr. At least it was dollar dog night.

Anonymous said...

Since you mentioned baseball, here's an interesting stat. The Padres Chris Young has started five games this year that his team has ended up winning 1-0.

Other than ESPN Desportes, are any networks covering the Pan Am Games? I hear almost nothing about them.

Bart

Love2Run said...

WTG Jays !!
;-)

A Deal Or No Deal said...

Funny. I just wrote about how I thrilled I am to have a 51-50 team that's sitting in third place.

Chad said...

Sara, don't even bother watching the tribe vs. the twinkies. It's not worth your time.

Bart, sorry to say I don't watch any NL baseball games. No, I haven't heard anything about the Pan Am Games.