Thursday, May 10, 2007

DECENT WORKOUT

Busy, busy, but I’d hate to go two days in-a-row without getting some thoughts “out there”.

I had a pretty decent workout yesterday. The plan called for 11 miles, including 6 x 1K @ 5K pace. Again, I headed to the prairie loop in Hyland Park where I’ve been running my 600m repeats. I decided to mimic a workout we used to do in college called “recover on the run”. The idea is you start your repeats at the bottom of a hill and run hard, but controlled, up the hill. At the top, you spend the next 100-150m or so just sucking in as much air as possible. After that you focus on regaining your form – which usually goes to hell on the hill.

Anyway, after only doing 600m repeats I tried to be a little more conservative in my approach to these – partially because I didn’t feel that great during my warmup. Luckily, as I progressed in the workout, I started to feel better. With each rep, I just ran for 3:40 and the distance of each repeat gradually got longer and longer.

After two rough nights of sleep, I decided to sleep in this morning. That was actually tough to do because I knew it was perfect running weather this morning; 55-60 degrees, clear, calm. Minnesota is a great place this time of year. Maybe I'll get out for an easy shake-out run tonight.

I’ll end with my latest interview of one of Minnesota’s most accomplished and recognizable runners.

Quote of the day;

“For older runners and physically active people, I can’t help but think that we are more fit than inactive 30 or 40 year olds. I know I don’t feel old; I just can’t run as fast as I used to.” - Gloria Jansen

No comments: