Friday, May 04, 2007

CASE IN POINT

Being a runner, I have to admit I was a little bummed when the last issue of this fine publication featured mostly bikers. Well, they’ve more than made up for it with their May/June issue which features brief interviews with many of the Team USA Minnesota runners, as well as Coach Barker. Good stuff. I’m sure there will be some quotes of the day coming from this issue. If you’re in the area, be sure and swing by one of the local running establishments to pick up a copy.

I tend to get lots of questions from friends/co-workers about running – usually from someone who’s just starting out. I enjoy helping out because it helps me remember what it was like to be a beginner. I can’t help by share a question for a former co-worker. He’s a relative beginner, but does have one marathon under his belt. He’s planning on running TCM and he asked me if he should plan on walking up the hill at mile 21. Keep in mind, the marathon is still 5 months away.

I know he’s one of these guys that’ll run 2-3 days a week, but won’t start to train until whatever program he’s following starts. I suggested he may want to start training more frequently now. That way, 5 months from now he’ll be prepared for the hill – rather than taking the defeatist approach in May. Besides, if he has to walk the hill, he can decide that on October 7th. He assured me that he does run 6 miles every Saturday.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Training; I think I forgot to mention that Wednesday’s training was 6 miles with some strides. This morning was a very easy 5 miles.

Quote of the day;

“It’s always nice to have what I call fantasy goals because these allow you to dream big and when you dream big sometimes extraordinary things happen.”Matt Gabrielson

No comments: