Tuesday, May 01, 2007

AT SOME POINT

Ryan had a good comment/question yesterday asking if I settled in to 6:10s because I was fatigued or because it was more of a conscious choice. Looking back, I really think it was a conscious choice. I didn’t feel that fatigued, but I never really made an effort to push the pace either. I don’t know if it has to deal with not wanting to hurt, lack of motivation for shorter races or what. I think if I spent a year doing 5K – 10K races it’d either lead to my “retirement” or a breakthrough.

One thing I really need to figure out is if 6:00 pace is a physical or mental barrier. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think there’s some type of wall surrounding that pace for me. I guess if it is a mental barrier, the good thing is that at some point, as I age, my mental barrier has to match my physical limits. If I’m still running 6:00 pace 20 years from now, I won’t be so upset.

Bill sent me an email outlining a bunch of runners that had slowed down significantly from last year. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one that does this kind of stuff. I’d already compared a bunch of people’s pace as Human Race compared to Get in Gear. Of course, some were faster over 10K and some were slower, so it’s hard to get a real feel. I guess it’s safe to say that my 7-8 seconds per mile increase is “in the ballpark”.

Anyway, here’s a training update; Saturday's mileage gave me 57 miles for the week. I kept my string of taking Sundays off alive. Monday I doubled up with 6 in the morning and 5 in the evening. Those runs gave me 254 for the month on 24 days of running and 28 runs. That’s lower than where I had been because I dropped down to Pfitz’s 70 mpw plan. This morning I was up at 4:10 for a 15 miler. That’s a nice way to start off the month of May.

Quote of the day;

“I have been gearing all my training this year for the 10,000. I didn't have a very good 5000 meter race at Mt. SAC on April 13 to open my outdoor season but now I have the reassurance that I am doing the right stuff for what I am focusing on. It goes to show that when you have a bad race, you just need to stay confident in your training. I'm really excited about achieving my qualifying time because now I can start racing.”Katie McGregor, after obtaining the Olympic qualifying standard for the 10,000m.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you weren't satisfied with the 10k. My impression from a very quick skim of the results was that the field was mostly slower than I would have expected by 30-60 seconds.

Saturday got warm pretty quickly, and although it wasn't humid, still warmer than most people would be used to. Didn't seem like the wind was too bad.

Were you happy with how you did relative to others?

Anonymous said...

I would back that sentiment. I ran the 10K too and it was 1 week after a hard effort on a 1/2 marathon. I think I recall that you ran a 25k the week before.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed with my time, but given the effort I put in, I wasn't happy either. Looking back I think the weather might have had something to do with it, since 30 seconds faster would have made me happy.

Sean

Trisaratops said...

I totally have mental barriers on my race pace, and it seems for me the shorter the distance the more I have to battle. Grrr.

One more thing for me to work on next year!

Chad said...

Evan, Don said it was 68 degrees by 10AM. However, like you said, it wasn't humid, so the weather didn't seem to be too much of a factor.

You know how it is when you compare yourself to others, you do better against some and worse against others.

Sean, sounds like we had the exact same experience. I think we'll live.

Sara, better stick with the Ironmans, huh?