Monday, January 22, 2007

NEARLY UNBEARABLE

Since my last post talked about being interviewed for this article on winter running, I thought I’d start by posting the story. I think the author did a really good job of tying things together – even though one of the interviewees is a self-described “fair-weather runner” in the winter. Sorry HKM, I couldn’t resist.

One of the guys said that you can’t overheat in the winter. I beg to differ. Saturday the weather channel said it was -7, so I got all bundled up. On the way to my group run the radio said it was 3 above. Plus I forgot to into account the pace that this group runs, which can really heat a person up. Anyway, I was so overdressed it was nearly unbearable.

I’m not sure if it was because I was overdressed or what, but 11 miles into this 16 mile (rounding up from 15.5) run, I was done. I fell off the pace and the last 5 miles were a miserable slog. I guess that’s what you get when you run with people who all have marathon PRs that are 20 minutes faster than your own.

Throw in a 10 mile run on Friday and I ended up with 78 miles for the week.

Sunday, I literally spent 3 hours straight, ice skating. When I was a kid, I went ice skating nearly every night I loved it so much. This is really the first year my oldest daughter has tried it and she absolutely loves it too. She would go into the warming house for a drink of water, but she never took a break – other than sitting in the snow bank to eat snow.

I got in an easy 5 miles Sunday night and frankly I’m surprised I got in any miles, since I was so tried from skating.

There’s another guy in town who runs and does triathlons. I usually bump into him at a few races during the year. Yesterday I actually bumped into him at the rink. Of course we talked running/tris. He’s always wondering if I’m training for another Ironman – even though I tell him I haven’t swum in since 2003.

He’s also always curious about my running mileage. When I told him I was running about 75 mpw he said something like, “Why? You’re not training [for Grandma’s] yet are you?” I never know how to respond to this. Am I supposed to sit around and do nothing until something like 12 or 16 weeks out from the marathon? We’re runners, that’s what we do – run!

I mentioned something about winter being the ideal time to build my base. Again I got, “Why?” These questions are coming from someone who’s teaching beginning running classes and marathon training classes at a local health club.

I’ll end with an updated journal entry from my favorite (male) runner.

Quote of the day;

“The problem with big kickers is they often lose to other big kickers.” – Harry Groves, Penn State coach

6 comments:

Laurie said...

The article is very well written. It doesn't make me want to run in this weather however.

Anonymous said...

I think the exact term used was "complete wimp!" referring to my lack of fondness for winter running. I guess you can't have that in an article extolling the virtues of it.

brent said...

i liked the article, i saw it on sunday morning. where is a good place to park if a person wanted to check out the trails at the MN river bottoms? it looks pretty cool.

Chad said...

Brent, check out this map that Evan sent me awhile ago. There's a parking lot under the Cedar Avenue bridge - near Nichols Road and Black Dog Road.

You could also park at the MN Valley National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters (in Bloomington).

brent said...

thanks.

Ryan said...

Great exposure on the article. Nice job!