Tuesday, January 16, 2007

CONTENT

It’s kind of hard to explain, but I feel as if I have a better sense of my training this winter. I’m not following a schedule, per se, but I am trying fit in a tempo run, hill run, strides and a long run every week to 10 days. Mileage-wise, I’m content to take what my body and Mother Nature will give me.

So when I woke up to 4-6” of new (unplowed) snow yesterday, I had no problem shutting it down, after struggling through 2 miles in 22 minutes. I figure it’s better to sit around and drink coffee than to worry about getting in 2-3 more miles. In the evening I jumped on the treadmill for an easy 5 mile recovery run.

Being content with my body and Mother Nature doesn’t mean being lazy. Even though it was -10 degrees this morning, I managed a 90 minute run, including 5 hill repeats. Luckily the winds were calm. While I could probably go a little colder, I’m getting near my limit – mainly due to my hands. I just can’t keep them warm. I could probably buy some warmer mitts for $30-40, but since I’d only need them a handful (pun not intended) of times during the year, I can’t justify buying them.

I took a slightly new approach for my latest interview, by interviewing a husband and wife who both run. That makes it kind of long, but still interesting. I have a bunch of other cool interviews that I’m currently working on too.

Quote of the day;

“Yeah, I'm obviously very pleased with how the race went. In hindsight, I wish I would've got out a little faster in the first half, but I wanted to play it a little conservative.”Michael Reneau, who ran negative splits (1:09:16/1:08:30) at Houston on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snap. Or nearly. Did 93 minutes with 8 hill repeats this morning. It was beautiful. Swix lobster mitts kept my hands perfectly warm.

Chad said...

Hey, I was wearing Swix lobster mitts too - along with a thin pair of gloves underneath. I guess I just have poor circulation in my hands.

Anonymous said...

FWIW I've found cotton to be next to useless under the Swix mitts, but polypropelene works a charm.

Anonymous said...

Those Swix mitts aren't cheap.

If you think spending $40 on a pair of mitts that will last you the next ten winters is too expensive, a pair of nylon dress socks covered with a plastic baggie and a pair of cotton socks over that works well.