Wednesday, January 10, 2007

ANOTHER WAY

I haven’t run yet today, but I wanted to write a short post based on an article I read the other night. Back in my dark day – when I was doing triathlons – I had a coach. He’s since moved to Colorado, but he still writes training articles for a local bi-monthly publication. His latest article talks about the benefits of low intensity training – an effort that feels just a bit more intense than a strong walk (i.e. 2 hour runs and 5 hour bike rides with heart rates around 120-125).

Sounds “fun.” Of course, heart rates vary between individuals, so what does he really want us to accomplish?

Well, we’re trying to workout at the fastest pace we can maintain while still burning fat.

Ah. I’m not sure about you, but I don’t know when I switch from fat-burning to carb-burning.

No worries. The best way to find the “correct” effort is through a fuel test in a lab.

That sounds “fun” too.

Luckily, there’s another way. We can also use perceived exertion. He suggests using the effort at which you can no longer comfortably breathe through your nostrils while exercising.

Here’s my favorite part. If you’re an oral breather then you can;

Find this optimal fat burning threshold by evaluating the moment you notice a significant increase in breathing rate at a training level that is well below the threshold you would begin to feel the burning of lactate accumulation.

I’m glad he cleared that up

Quote of the day;

“In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help to train us in perseverance. Long-distance running is particularly good.” – Mao Tse-Tung

2 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Say WHAT?!

:)

massoman said...

i used a lot of exertion just now reading that quote. hope i'm not sore tomorrow.

sounds like a tough sell.