Friday, March 17, 2006

CONSISTENT

With an 8k race two days away, I really have no idea what to expect, especially with this drastic change in mileage. My guess is that I could be anywhere from 28-31 minutes. Like a bell-shaped curve, the chances of running 28 or 31 are pretty slim while the chances of running around 29:30 are probably pretty good. I’d be happy with that time. I’ve run this race a lot, so I have a decent history;

2005 29:56
2004 30:44
2002 29:20
2001 29:52
2000 30:09
1999 34:19
1997 32:14

I just averaged those times from 2000-2005 and it comes to exactly 30-flat. I guess I’m nothing, if not consistent. Sunday looks to be a little chilly; 10 degrees in the morning with a high of 32. Since we start at 1:20, I assume we’ll be closer to 32 than 10.

I agreed to run with Scott this morning, but only if we kept the pace easy. We’ll it was probably a little easier than last Friday, but not much. We ran for 66 minutes which was probably closer to 9 miles than to 8. Throw in another mile with Bailey and I had close to 10 miles for the day. So much for a mini-taper. That puts me at 72 miles for the week and I will probably end with 77-80 miles.

I’ve been trying to find some decent light weight trainers which could possibly be used for marathons. I like the New Balance 833, but they’re being replaced soon and you never know what you’ll get with a new model. I have a couple pairs of Nike Skylon’s too, but they’re being replaced too. Maybe that’s just a name change. I like the Asics Speedstar that I tried, but after 250 miles I was through the tread and down to the white section. I just bought a pair of Mizuno Precision. They’re pretty nice, similar to the Skylon. I’d like to find something a little lighter though. The Brooks Burn are on my list, but I haven’t pulled the trigger and bought a pair yet. Any other ideas?

Quote of the day:
“Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it’s all about.” Patti Sue Plumer

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the race!

Mike said...

Good luck Zeke, go for the 29. Get out of that 30 rut, you've been working very hard and it would be great to get a PR for your efforts. Nothing ventured...well, you know the rest. I have a feeling with the added endurance there won't be any slowing at the end.

Anonymous said...

Apropos of the shoes, the Skylons are a sad loss. Air Span were great too. The Zoom Elites are a nice replacement, and I would happily run a marathon in them.

Tempted by their cheapness I picked up some of the Nike Shox 2:45 shoes. More responsive than they look, will have to see if they truly are a tempo run shoe. But anyway, the funny thing is that the Shox part catches snow which I could hear shuffling round in the sole some of the time.

Eric said...

Let it rip, Zeke. Put yourself out there early and see what develops. Good luck, and have fun!

Duncan Larkin said...

Good luck 'Zeke.' You're training has been intense and you are ready to break through the ice. Go get 'em. Don't hold back. Be aggresive.

Mike said...

Hey Zeke,
If you liked the skylons, I think the new zoom hayward is supposed to be comparable..no stability features to speak of. Like Evan, I use the Zoom Elites and love them...fairly light but still plenty of cushioning.
Good luck in the race!