Monday, March 06, 2006

CONGRATS

Am I the only blogger that didn’t race this weekend? Congrats to everyone that did race over the weekend. I won’t link to all their blogs, but they include Duncan, Seebo, Chelle, Alison, Elizabeth, Curly Su, DaiseyDuc, and Drew. In addition, training partner Jenna made the trek to warmer climes and ran the Sarasota Half Marathon in 1:20:30 to finish 5th OVERALL. She was the first woman by over 7 minutes.

As for my own running, my legs felt really good this morning. I guess keeping the pace easy for two-and-a-half hours yesterday didn’t take a lot out of them. Now did I give up some level of fitness by going “too slow?” Who knows? Sometimes time on your feet is all that matters. Anyway, I managed 10 miles this morning, with the last half at just under 8:00 pace.

On another running note, runningtimes.com used to have a link to Pfitz’s 18-week, 55 mpw program. It looks like they redesigned their site and I can’t find the program any more. That’s probably a good idea since you didn’t really need to buy Pfitz’s book if you had access to that article. Anyway, I was going to post the article to show Ryan (and others) how “easy” the program is. While it says it’s 55 mpw program, that represents the maximum mileage that you top out at. I don’t know off the top of my head, but you probably only reach that amount of miles 2-3 times during the program.

Hmm, it seems like I should have more to write about, but I don’t. Go read some race reports from the weekend.

Quote of the day:
“If you want some thing you’ve never had before – you need to do some things you’ve never done before.” Unknown

9 comments:

Trisaratops said...

I didn't race, either! Will be doing a 5 miler next weekend though...not sure what I can do as it's been FOREVER since I've raced anything sorta shortish! Should be interesting! :)

BTW--I'm a big fan of the Clif Bloks! Especially on the bike, but good for a really long run, too. Sometimes I get so sick of gu!

Anonymous said...

I haven't looked at the new RT site yet, but I'd guess that the link is still somewhere, since I was one of the many people who (briefly) helped them transfer articles from the old site to the new site.

The upside of not racing this weekend is that you felt good today. I'm guessing that I wasn't the only one who raced yesterday who was hobbling today!

Anonymous said...

I didn't race either. Just some easy miles, working on my base. Only 53 this week, but it's a start. I'd like to surpass your "low mileage" weeks soon (-;

seebo said...

Thanks for the shoutout; I'm another one who is feeling the pain from yesterday.

Chad said...

Sara, have a great race this weekend. It's always "fun" lacing up for the first race in awhile.

Thanks for the info on Clif Bloks. I saw them at a store the day and almost bought them. I may need to try them out for my next marathon.

Alison, yeah the article is probably there, I just didn't speed much time searching. Hopefully Beck's program is still there too.

Gotta love that 30k distance, right? I hope you bounce back after a few easy days.

Miler, I've been meaning to say this but keep forgetting. While my last 2 weeks have been 78 and 81, I did have a 7-day stretch that was "only" 63 miles - it just didn't fall in the Sunday-Saturday time-frame. Keep pluggin'.

Anonymous said...

It is still teh same link (Pfitzinger <70MPW):
http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=4432&page=1&c=83

Chad said...

GH, thanks for finding the link. I thought it was his 55 mpw program, not the 70 mpw program. Anyway, it looks like there are only 2 weeks that reach 70.

I was just trying to point out that the entire program isn't at peak mileage, which could be a little daunting.

Thomas said...

I'm a little bit late with my comment, but I've followed Pfitzinger's 55/18 program.
There is one week with 55, one 54, and 4 more weeks with 50 or 51.
It might seem easy to you, but it sure looked daunting to me when I first saw it about a year ago. Now I kind of agree, sometimes I felt I could have handled more.

Chad said...

Thomas, I don't mean to come across as if the 55/18 program is a piece of cake. I just want to make it clear that it's not 18 weeks of 55 miles. For someone who's been running 40 mpw, it'll gradually get them to 55 mpw.