Wednesday, January 18, 2012

HOUSTON RECAP

That sound you hear is me recovering from Houston. For a running geek like me, it was an awesome weekend. Of course, the Olympic Trials races were the highlights, but here are a few other cool things I got to do;


Actually have fun at an Expo, rather than just pick up my bib and leave.
Drink beer about five feet from Brian Sell on Friday night.
Attend the post-race press conferences.
Drink beer with the most knowledgeable person in the sport that I know, Sean Hartnett.
Watch more friends run on Sunday.
Hang out with a ton of cool Minnesotans.
I won't mention anything about watching the Packer game.

It turns out Hall’s prediction of needing to run 2:09 to make the team were spot-on. I have to admit, I did not see four Americans running sub-2:10.

Overall, I think my predictions were okay. I entered the letruns.com prediction contest and here are my pick, along with their actual place.

MEN

1) Hall – 2nd
2) Gotcher – 5th
3) Lehmkuhle – 18th
4) Hartmann – 32nd
5) Meb – 1st
6) Arciniaga – 8th
7) Smyth – 22nd
8) Vaugh – DNF
9) Carlson – 6th
10) Gabrielson – DNF

WOMEN

1) Davila – 2nd
2) Flanagan – 1st
3) Hastings – 4th
4) Kastor – 6th
5) Cherobon-Bawcom - 5th
6) McGregor – 11th
7) Lewy-Boulet – 10th
8) Rothstein - DNF
9) Pritz - DNF
10) Peyton – DNF

Given the high stakes involved with finishing in the top-3, I think it’s fair to say that someone’s finish place in the trials doesn’t always represent their level of fitness. For example, Minnesotans Katie McGregor and Jason Lehmkuhle have finished 4th and 5th at the last trials. So there’s really no incentive for them to be conservative and worry about placing as high as possible – if that means not making the top-3. They are left with a go-for-broke game plan, which more often than not results in a late race meltdown. With that said, I was extremely happy to see both of them “Get after it!” as Carrie Tollefson would say. Even if it ultimately meant that they faded to 11th and 18th, respectively. With a conservative approach Lehm probably would have finished 5th, while McGregor would have been around 7th or 8th.

A couple of other things worth mentioning. Congrats to Michelle Frey who finished 22nd in 2:37:03. That wasn’t a PR, but she hasn’t run that fast since probably 2006 when her 2:35:51 landed her on the cover of Runner’s World. Congrats to Nichole Porath for her shiny new PR, 2:44:12. On the men’s side, one of the best performances of the weekend goes to Andrew Carlson who debuted with a 2:11:24 (7th fastest debut ever by an American). That was good enough for 6th place. And congrats to Mike Reneau who placed 20th in 2:14:37, a PR by 2:08. Other Minnesotans, Donovan Fellows, Chris Erichsen, Joe Moore, and Justin Grunewald also PR’d. Finally, after the race, Luke Watson announced his retirement. Congrats to him on a great career.

Enough of my babbling, here’s the latest Run Junkie



Quote of the Day;

"We figured I'd run 5:30s for the first 20 miles, then cut it down to 5:20s or 5:15s. Get into that uncomfortable range. One thing I've learned is the race really starts at the last 10-K. I want to get to that point as comfortably as possible. Then you've got to do something to force the race to go your way." – Desi Davila after this year’s Boston Marathon


No comments: