Tuesday, March 03, 2009

OVERKILL

2009 skiing-related injuries: 0

2009 running-related injuries: 1

One week back and my right calf has already flared up. When our snow melted three weeks ago I was able to run 35 miles in the week along with a 10 miler. I had another 10 miler the following week. So I wouldn’t think 30 miles last week would be overkill. As I transition from skiing to running, it’s hard to get too worked up over this set back. However, it does make me leery of signing up for a spring marathon. And if I continue to get beat up, my “seasonal” sport may become my “new” sport.

Hmm, I wonder if my Saturday morning running group would mind if I roller skied next to them.

I guess the good news is that skiing doesn’t bother my calf and the trails are in fantastic shape. The bad news is that trail conditions can deteriorate in a hurry this time of year.

I finally got around to posting another interview. I would have done it sooner, but when my home computer crashed, I lost everything. I also lost a bunch of email addresses, so if you’re used to getting email updated of new postings, you’re out of luck. I figure with the new year, it’s time to break that chain – people can get a google reader account or something similar.

In other interview news, a week after I interviewed Scott Chapin he experienced heart problems while out training. Here’s an update on his story.

I guess that puts my calf injury in perspective.

Quote of the Day;

“Kempainen was someone I really admired, and still admire. I remember watching him place second in the New York Marathon in 1993. I was a high school runner then, and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. Then they interviewed him, and I can’t remember what he said, but he was of course extremely humble.”Chris Lundstrom

No comments: