Sunday, March 29, 2009

12 WEEKS

I actually did go back and re-read all my Human Race reports since 2005. Last year I ended my report with this;
Anyway, normally I bust my ass all winter, have a great Human Race, and then slowly get worse throughout the year. This morning I was looking through my old logbooks and came across one instance where that didn’t happen. In 2003 I did triathlons. In 2004 I switched back to running and really struggled early on. I ran 30:44 at Human Race then ran 3:50 in the heat at Boston. While that was my worst marathon ever, I ended up having a great summer of road racing.
Well I don't have to worry about Boston this year. Since Grandma's is in June, I have an an extra 2 months that I didn't have in 2004. Of course after the marathon it means I have less time to recover.

Speaking of Grandma's, we're 12 weeks out as of yesterday. I finally sat down and laid out Pfitz's 12-week plan. I'm going to try and hit the 70 mpw program. I figure it starts with 55 mpw, which is where I'm at right now. I'll just have to adjust things as I go for the races I want to run.

I guess the good news is that I put storage wax on my skis and now I'm motivated and focused on running. I had a nice 16 miler yesterday - by far my longest sustained run since TCM.

Quote of the day;

"I cannot name one individual heroic workout that will take someone to the next level, but there are a few workouts that, when done consistently and repetitively as part of a training schedule, can lead to substantial progress for the majority of runners." Joe Rubio, from Run Strong

No comments: