Wednesday, December 12, 2007

ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE

I thought about adding a second run on Monday night, but, quite frankly, I didn’t want to. So instead, I posted this interview and went to bed early. I was “rewarded” with a good night’s sleep and was wide awake 20 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. Rather than just lie there, I got up and ran 15 miles instead of the 12-13 I had planned. The majority of the run followed the MDRA 15K course – all 3 laps.

This morning I ran an easy 11 miles. I don’t know what was going on – it was only 7 or 8 degrees cooler than yesterday – but I had trouble warming up. 40 minutes into my 90-minute run and I still wasn’t warm. After an hour my hands were freezing and the last part of my run was absolutely miserable. All I can think is that my gloves didn’t dry out from the previous day, which is quite likely since they sat in my gym bag all day long. Time to error on the side of having my hands be too hot.

I didn’t mention this when I posted my interview with Barney Klecker, but it’s difficult finding good photos of these guys from the ‘70s. I actually scanned the photo of Barney from a book written by Bruce Brothers – probably highly illegal, but I figure I’m not making any money off the site, so it’s not a big deal. Anyway, I googled the photographer, Scott Schneider, for the heck of it and found his gallery, which has some of the best action photos I’ve seen. I really like the upper left photo of Eddie Holzem as he grabs a cup of water and Gatorade. Then, of course, there’s the intense shot of Carrie, Katie, and Amy. And if I had pipes like Joan Benoit Samuelson, I’d be happy.

Sports Authority has a pretty good commercial running right now. It shows some guy going out for a run on various holidays; New Year’s, Easter, 4th of July, etc. Then at the end it says, “They’re called holidays, not days off.”

Quote of the day;

"There were a lot of guys that I usually beat in races that I couldn’t have kept up with in practice (if they were telling the truth about their workout times). I was consistently a better racer than trainer." - Dennis Barker

No comments: