Friday, September 23, 2005

SO THAT’S WHAT IT FEELS LIKE

My company wrapped up Wellness week with a 2 mile “race” this afternoon. Last year’s winner, Tom, was looking to defend his title. I thought I’d research my competition, so I searched his name on a website that keeps track of most of the local races. I only got one hit, a 35-minute 5 mile race in June. I figured I could run 6:30 pace and still win. Since I’m doing a 10k tomorrow, I was a little torn; should I go “all out” or should I run just fast enough to win. I chose a combination.

I ran “easy” for the first 4-5 minutes with Tom and another guy right behind me. Then the course takes a hard right and there’s a gradual downhill. As soon as I turned the corner I picked things up and started running hard. I hate to say it, but I turned around a few times to make sure I was clear. I crossed the line in 12:09. Tom was probably another 30 seconds back, with 3rd place 30 seconds behind him. I’m not sure how accurate the course is. My guess is that it’s a little short. If I have some time next week, I may clock it on my bike.

26 years of racing and I can’t remember ever winning a race. While I was in the service, I used to “win” the 1.5 mile Physical Fitness runs. This felt a lot like that. Maybe winning a “real” race would feel the same, I don’t know. Also, in my 26 years of racing, I’ve never won a bigger trophy.

Hmm, for some reason the photo of the trophy is not uploading. I'll take a look when I have more time.

No comments: