Monday, September 12, 2005

ACCURATE OR MISLEADING?

I was thinking about the statement I made the other day and its accuracy.
Hmm, so all this time of slogging through 85 mpw should have been 70 mpw at a faster pace? I’m definitely going to keep this in mind as I plan my next season.
While it’s “accurate” it can also be misleading. Sure I ran some 85 mile weeks last winter, but am I really an 85 mpw runner? Looking back at my log, I only ran over 80 mpw 6 times during my base-building. Hell, if you think about it, 70 mpw is basically 300 miles per month. In my entire 25 years of running I’ve been over that mark 3 times.

So what does that mean for my next base-building session if I want to run 30-40% of my mileage near my marathon pace? Obviously, I’ll have to play it by ear. I’m curious to see what 70 mpw with that kind of pace work feels like. But I’m getting ahead of myself, as there are still races to run this year.

Today I just ran an easy 5 miles before work. My legs felt terrible. Hopefully it’s just due to the heat and humidity and hopefully this is the last wave of that weather.

No comments: