Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK

I swear this is exactly what I’ve been thinking about doing for next year…

If racing were simple a year’s work would involve something like a big build-up during the winter, sharpening and racing until summer, backing off during the summer to recharge the mental and physical batteries, briefly rebuilding and racing again through late summer and fall, resting, and then starting the whole process over. The advantages are 1) the main mileage training is done in the winter when you aren’t (or shouldn’t be) racing, 2) you are in peak condition in the spring and fall when the weather is right for fast times, and 3) you get to back off during the summer heat.
Daws goes on to talk about big exceptions, like having your key race in the middle of summer. Luckily I don’t have to worry about that as there really aren’t any races that I “have” to do from mid-June to mid-August.

Tonight I met my teammates at the Macalester track. As I suspected, there weren’t many people there – only about 7-8 of us. Most of the triathletes are done with their season, plus a lot of people had long (half ironman, ironman, 10 miles, 25k) races last weekend. Jenna, Roger and I formed a small group and basically performed a progression run – gradually picking up the pace throughout.

We ran down Summit Avenue to the Cathedral and back to the River Road before returning to Macalester. On the way back our coach pulled alongside us on his bike and started talking. Jenna used that opportunity to pick up the pace and pull away from us. Roger and I continued on, finishing with 76 minutes which was at least 10 miles, maybe 10.5. Since I hate those halves in my log book, I’ll leave it at 10.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Zeke, what upcoming races do you have planned? I am running Al's Run next weekend as Team Hillrunner.com defends its team title. I haven't run this race since 1983, so it'll be interesting to see how the course has changed (it was 5M, now 8K). I know two things; 1) I'll be slower than my 28:19 that I ran, and 2) I'll finish higher in the standings than 197th, which is where I was back then. Last year 28:19 would have gotten 25th place, and 197th place came in @ 33:40! Amazing what a difference 22 years makes....

I'm less than 1 week from my taper for Lakefront. Ran 8.3 miles this morning @ 6:45 pace. Can't wait for the cooler weather to be here.

Chad said...

Hmm, you're going to put me on the spot, huh? I'm not committing to anything because I've been bailing so much lately, but here's what I have penciled in;

Sept 18th Ft. Snelling 5 x 5K relay
Sept 24th Bolder Dash 10k
Oct 1st TCM 5k
Oct 15th Whistlestop 5k, 10k or half
Oct 23rd Grand Tour 5k
Oct 29th Grey Ghost 5k

Actually you can write the relay in ink, as I'm part of a team. It's just for "fun" right Dale?

I'm hoping for nice weather on the 24th since it is supposed to be a fast course. It's actually an out-and-back-out-and-back course. The interesting thing is that I've never run any of these races before.

Yeah, it is amazing how race results have changed over time. Have a great race at Al's. I wish that were closer for me. Hope your taper goes well too. It sounds like you're ready for a solid performance.

Anonymous said...

Daws continually was learning something. Each run told him where he was. I have used his principles for many years now and take stock in where I am every week. I seldom try and do more than my training dictates as you can't make training up over a week or even a month. Once you start dialing it down you have to stay on that path. There are many things I did not prepare for or execute in my Lakefront training, but this doesn't mean it has to be a disaster. You play to your strengths and try and eliminate doing the things which can have a negative impact on your race.

I can cover the marathon distance easily, but I am not prepared to drive a long sustained pace for 20 miles or more. Therefore, I must run conservative, I must not allow my self to run it like it's a 20 mile race and hang on. My speed is compromised, I have lost the cruising speed I have enjoyed in the past, but this is one area I am developing and can develop to some extent in the month prior to the marathon. Use shorter tempos and races to build confidence and reach peak level with what you have. I am tired, but use the taper for what's it's for. Rest more if necessary and eliminate trying to do too much too late. I struggle here, but don't let enthusiasm you hold now, hinder the race only 17 days away.

Chad said...

Double,

Have you read "Running Your Best"? As you can guess, I highly recommend it. Evan said he's currently reading "Self-Made Olympian". So the Daws revival has begun.

As usual, it sounds like you know exactly where you are at with your training and what you can expect on race day.

Man, just over 2 weeks. Even though I'm not running a fall marathon, I love this time of year; Twin Cities, Lakefront, Chicago, Quad Cities, Whistlestop, Fox Cities, etc. and that's just the Midwest.

Have a great race at Al's this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Al's is next weekend. That's why you get all the "should I run Al's all out 8 days before Lakefront" consternation here locally. Unless you have the Olympic finals in a couple days is my usual response.

I'll be in the Twin Cities Monday, leaving (driving) Thursday AM. Not sure if we can hook up, but maybe we can squeeze in a run after work. I'm staying in Hudson, WI, so I'd have to meet you somewhere after work.

I'll try and call sometime when I'm up there.

Chad said...

I'm meeting Evan either Tuesday or Wednesday night. We haven't worked out the details yet. Maybe all 3 of us could meet at Lake Elmo Park Reserve or Afton State Park. Those parks are only about 5-10 minutes West of Hudson.