Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CALF ISSUE

It seemed like there was a stretch of about 6 years where I blogged every day or at least every week day. That’s hard to believe, given how little I’ve been blogging lately. What the heck did I used to write about so much?


My calf that cramped during my last race recovered quickly, only to cramp again during my run on Monday. That made me curious. If a muscle cramps, is it more susceptible to future cramping? I’m not overly concerned – yet. However, I’ve been laying out a training plan for TCM and that’s supposed to start in early June. Plus, I’m supposed to run a 5K on Memorial Day. I’ve also managed to weasel my way into the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon and it’d be nice to be able to run that. I’ve been foam rolling like crazy, along with wearing my compression socks as much as possible – including at work.

I jumped on the elliptical machine yesterday and today I commuted to work on my bike – at least part of the way. I drove to Lake Nokomis and then biked 17 miles from there. Of course, that means another 17 miles tonight. I really like commuting by bike, however, it means I won’t get home until after 6:30 PM.

Quote of the Day;

"I would never use Rod Dixon as a pace man. Off the track, we are good friends, but on the track we are very competitive. It’s me for me and Rod for Rod.” – John Walker


2 comments:

Bethk said...

Wish I could remember where I read it, but it is true that once your calf muscle cramps it is more like to again. It was a study about the effects of sodium levels and dehydration on cramping. Those did not correlate. Previous episodes of cramping were the biggest predictor. It also said that fatigue (lack of taper) played a role. Good luck at your half marathon. Let your leg rest first!

Chad said...

Hey Beth, that's interesting. Before, I never would have thought that. However, my recent experiences would lead me to agree. Let's hope it doesn't persist all summer long.