Wednesday, June 30, 2010

PISSER

So TCM is trying to become more like the NYRR. Instead of just having one weekend of events during the year, they’re creating new events (or buying someone else’s), so they have multiple events throughout the year. This weekend they have the Red, White and Boom half marathon. Scott is running it and he sent me this fine print from their website;

Also of special note: the course crosses over several sets of railroad tracks. Due to Homeland Security rules, we do not know the train schedule and it is highly likely that trains will be crossing the course. For your safety, PLEASE do not attempt to outrun a train!
That would be a pisser.

Back to soccer and the World Cup, I actually watched the U.S. vs. Ghana and was mildly entertained. I was more entertained by the first half the Germany vs. England match – although not entertained enough to watch the second half.

After watching the U.S. match I facebooked that it’d be really hard to be a passionate fan about U.S. distance running AND U.S. soccer. I think both groups think there sport doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

I had the idea of adding referees to running races, then whenever someone passed me during a race, I’d hit the ground. When I got back up I’d throw my hands in the air in disgust and glare at the referee. And if a train came along during the race and cut me off, you can bet I’d give the referee the evil eye while muttering under my breath.

Somehow I didn’t mind Bill Laimbeer flopping when he was on “my” team, but since then, I can’t stand watching these NBA players flopping all the time. And soccer seems even worse.

Yesterday Rocco had a great idea for a YouTube video; Show a soccer player flopping and rolling around like his leg fell off. Then show a baseball player getting beaned in the leg and refusing to show any sign of pain as he walks to first. Then show another soccer flop. Then another baseball beaning. Repeat over and over for five minutes.

Now that would be entertaining.

Finally, congrats to Tony for his 26th place finish at the Western States 100-mile in 19:28. Today’s QOD is for him.

Quote of the Day;

“Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don’t look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by. Trails are like that: you’re floating along in a Shakespearean Arden paradise and expect to see nymphs and fluteboys, then suddenly you’re struggling in a hot broiling sun of hell in dust and nettles and poison oak… just like life.” Jack Keouac in The Dharma Bums

6 comments:

Eric said...

Back in the late 70's/early 80's at the Hopkins Raspberryfest race, Dick Beardsley was the only person to make it across before a train (if I am recalling correctly). So it can happen.

SteveQ said...

I was at Hopkins that year - three or four people made it, by my recollection. Funny how memories fade over 30 years. There's a train problem at White Bear Lake's Norhtern Lakes 30K and 10 Mile every single year.

Anonymous said...

I think for the record it was Jim Firstell (sp?) btw.....who wants to run a half marathon on July 4th anyway??? A bit hot for that isn't it???

Chad said...

Yeah, that's the story I heard, Jim Ferstle was the only one to make it across the tracks that year and he went on to win by a few minutes.

Steve, I've run Northern Lakes 3 or 4 times and have never seen a train.

Beth said...

I'll be interested to see how successful the 4th of July Half is this year. It just seems too hot for my taste. I'm doing a 10K and that will be plenty for me.

Emily said...

Sorry for my late entry comment. I'm behind in my reading. A train cut off the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place runners in Des Moines Marathon last year. I saw the guys pass me (as I was finishin the 1/2), saw the train coming, but of course when I finally made it to the tracks the train was gone. So no good excuse there.

But I imagine the 3 dudes eying each other up waiting for that dang train thinking - ok - who can sprint the fastest. I couldn't believe they have races that actually get stopped like that. I think I would be super pissed, but after Des Moines I guess it does happen sometimes. I never knew....