Wednesday, November 11, 2009

CREEPING UP

Let’s see if I can actually post something today that’s not basically a recap of my training. Instead let’s talk about where my training is going and some things I’ve been thinking about in 2010.

I mentioned how not having a running race on the horizon has removed a lot of pressure. No longer am I worried about specific workouts, paces, exact mileage, etc. I just lace them up and go out and run however I feel. I’ve been hitting the trails a lot more lately. During Friday’s group run we were talking about how strong the trails make you and how that strength just sort of creeps up without you even knowing it.

Obviously, I’ve added roller skiing into the mix too. At first I thought I’d try to gradually add more and more of it until the snow arrives. However, the other night I read that once a week is enough – at least neurologically speaking. And given my recent falls on Sunday, I really have no desire to roller ski much more than that anyway. Besides, the falls - and fear of falling - make me slow down, which probably compromises my fitness in the long run. I’m probably better off, aerobically, if I stick with running the vast majority of the time.

As for 2010, I don’t have a race schedule set or even penciled in at this point. Part of me wants to race a lot, part of me wants to try a bunch of new events, part of me wants to race on trails more, part of me would like to do some tris again, etc.

These won’t all happen in 2010, but here are some things I’d like to do;

Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim
Pikes Peak
Hood to Coast Relay
Paavo Nurmi Marathon
50K
70.3 half IM
140.6 full IM

Probably the most likely to occur on this list next year are a 50K and Paavo. We’ll see what happens. As I was thinking about 2010, I got an email that included info on an upcoming Run, Bike, Ski Triathlon. Looks like I’d better hop on my bike a few more times in the next 5 weeks.

Quote of the Day;

“There are a lot of guys out there who were great marathoners, who people talk about all the time, who never broke 2:14. It opened my eyes a little bit and put some more realistic dreams in my mind.” - Nick Arciniaga after running 2:13:46 at NYC, a PR by nearly two-and-a-half minutes

5 comments:

A Deal Or No Deal said...

How hard is a rim-to-rim-to-rim run? It's been a goal of mine ever since I went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. I once met a guy who had done that, along with a 3:10 marathon, and he said that the latter was much harder than the former.

Beth said...

Wow, I like your wish list for 2010. Lots of new things that sound like a heck of a lot of fun. Do them all so I can enjoy them vicariously!

Anonymous said...

Did the R2R2R on October 12th of this year. Awesome. Plan accordingly, pick the right time of the year, and get everything set a year in advance.

Double

Anonymous said...

50k...just get your rear end over here for the Ice Age 50 mile this May. Zeker, you would love it. Met Matt Patten...a few weeks back. Excellent home brew. We'll get the guys out and crush a few.

Double

Chad said...

Adeel, I have no idea how hard it is. From what I gather, it's about 40-45 miles depending on where you start. I know a couple guys that did it this spring and then ran Leadville in 21 hours. So they're tough.

Beth, I was planning on living vicariously through you.

Double, wish I had known you were doing it. Did you have a group of guys. And yeah, I should just come down and run the 50 miler. May might be too close to x-c ski season though.