Tuesday, July 21, 2009

PRETTY OBVIOUS

When I posted my previous 12 workouts yesterday, I was just trying to get a general view of what I’ve been doing lately that could lead to a poor workout. Steve’s comment made me go back and look specifically at what I did prior to each 10K paced workout. Doing that makes it pretty obvious;

Monday – hilly run at Lutsen (9 miles)
Tuesday - OFF
Wednesday – 4 x 5 minutes at 10K pace

Saturday – 19 strong miles
Sunday – 8 x 8 second hill sprints (8 easy miles)
Monday – 4 x 1 mile at 10K pace
I guess I should be thankful that; 1) I can run a decent workout when I’m rested and 2) I am putting in some hard work.

So it makes sense that I’m tired. It’s just that the workout called for 4 x 1 mile at 10K PACE. It didn’t say 10K EFFORT. The effort was there, the pace wasn’t. But I’m okay with that. I’m pretty sure I could hit all the workout times needed if I wanted to taper for every single workout – and then spend a day or two recovering. But I’m not training to run the most impressive 4 x 1 mile repeats. I’m training for a fall marathon. So I’ll forge on knowing that I’m putting in the work now for an October payoff.

Quote of the Day;
“Bite the bullet, old man, and don’t let them think you’re afraid.” – Rudyard Kipling

No comments: