Monday, December 08, 2008

RANK-ORDER

I don’t mean to rank-order my training partners, but I definitely have an affinity for running with older guys. Maybe it has something to do with being fatherly figures, but I always seem to really enjoy a run with guys like Jared, Bruce and Jim, just to name a few.

I spent most of Saturday’s group run talking to Jared about the “good ol’ days” and before I knew it we’d run for nearly 2 hours – my longest run since TCM. There’s just something about talking with someone who can remember listening to Don Larsen’s perfect game in the World Series on the radio and whose favorite baseball player was Stan Musial. Plus, he’s got a great self-deprecating sense of humor. For example, when he was talking about his college football days he said, “I was small – but I was slow.”

I ended the week with 52 miles on 6 days. Yesterday I was able to break out my x-c skis for the first time – so don’t be surprised if this becomes the “Simon Says…Ski” blog soon – like it did last winter.

Finally, you can check out Matt Gabrielson’s latest journal entry.

Quote of the Day;

“The key to longevity is not to ride the highs too long or dwell on the lows too deeply. The key is to take something out of each experience and apply it to the next and try to become a better runner. Sometimes better is not faster, sometimes it is.” - Matt Gabrielson

No comments: