Thursday, September 18, 2008

THE SOURCE

Is there a tougher time to blog than during the taper?

I don’t really have much to write about. My sore calf seems to have runs it’s course – Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were all pain-free days of running and I took this morning off. Yesterday I tried to run quicker for a few miles, but never dipped below 7:00 pace. Not sure if the was due to lack of desire, lack of focus, loss of fitness, or what.

Right now my plan for TCM is just to run by feel – try to remain controlled until mile 20 and then be able to pick up the pace on the hills – and not set a time goal.

I have discovered the source of all my problems. Runner’s World had an article on the plastic used in various drinking bottles. Apparently, bottles with a #1 on them are not supposed to be re-used. It turns out that’s the number on the bottle I’ve been refilling every night for like the past 3 months. I guess unscrewing the cap and putting in your own tap water suddenly causes the plastic to produce cancer-causing agents – or something to that affect.

In case you missed it, Team USA Minnesota has a few new runners. Meghan Armstrong introduces herself HERE and HERE. Last week Josh Moen introduced himself HERE. NOTE: Josh is not to be confused with Brandon Moen of Letsrun.com message board fame.

Quote of the day;

“My goal for the marathon is to be competitive and race. The times will come if you are competitive.” – Josh Moen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just getting to the start line healthy and ready to race is a victory in and of itself. You have been tried and tested. You were not afraid to fail. Race day magic will carry you through - which is really the culmination of all the hard work you've put in up to that point.



Mark

Chad said...

Mark, I'll give you points for being positive.