Thursday, September 11, 2008

1 FORWARD - 2 BACK

It looked like things were getting better. Tuesday I ran at lunch and felt fine – until the last mile or so when my calf tightened up on me. I saw Jenna again yesterday. It’s sore again today, but hopefully just from her cranking on it.

One step forward, two steps backwards.

I’m finding it hard to stay motivated. Like I said the other day, I’m used to taking a week off at the end of the season and then building back up gradually. Well, this injury makes it feel like my season is over and now I’m just in R&R mode.

I remember listening to a podcast interview with Marty Liquori and he mentioned you could tell the great runners from the good runners by how they handled injuries. The great runners would work just as hard, if not harder, while they were injured. The good runners would use the opportunity to do other things with their free time.

I’m definitely a good runner.

I’ve been spending my extra time, helping the TCM out with press releases and elite bio info. It’s kind of weird to write a press release and then get that info in an email from a different source. It’s like, hey, that looks familiar.

Quote of the day;

“He lived as he preached to you boys: If at the end of a race you know yourself that you have done your best, you’re a winner.” – Barbara Bowerman, talking about her husband, Bill

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hope you get healthy soon. Looking forward to hearing about some races.