Friday, March 07, 2008

WHAT EXCITES YOU

While my posts don’t often generate a lot of comments, they do often generate some email banter between friends. Yesterday I emailed something to the affect of;

Realistically, I don’t have a lot of PR attempts left in my legs and I want to make the most of them – that’s part of the reason for wanting to run well at Boston.
Then I got this response back.

According to WAVA, a 3:00:00 marathon for a 38-year-old is 3:01:16 for a 39-year-old and 3:02:32 for a 40-year-old. You're losing 1-2 minutes a year without changing a thing. Or another way of looking at it, you have to get 1-2 minutes better each year just to get the same time.
It’s probably best not to look at things that way.

I’ve been leery of running on my broken treadmill lately, but last night I ran 8 miles on it. The deck is fixed, so that’s nice, but we’re still waiting on a replacement motor. I hope it arrives soon.

Quote of the day;

“What it comes down to for me is that you have to do what excites you.”Chris Lundstrom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's not the right way to look at WAVA....it's not a prediction for one individual runner, it's a percentage of a population's performance times. So the older you get, the fewer really fast runners there are at that particular age pool. I don't think the individual's decline is nearly that dramatic and certainly not without having specific reasons for it, i.e. injury, illness, joint degradation, etc.