Friday, March 28, 2008

SEEK WHAT THEY SOUGHT

I did manage 12 miles at 7:30 pace last night. I tried to throw is some MP work but didn’t fare too well. Maybe because I jumped on the treadmill only about 90 minutes after eating. I didn’t cramp, but just felt blah.

I watched a couple of good NCAA games (West Virginia/Xavier and Louisville/Tennessee). I found some of the commercials interesting;

Miller Lite has one that mentions all the beer awards they’ve won, like 1998, 2000, 2004, etc. I’m wondering what happened in the years they didn’t win. It’s not like they changed the formula of their beer. Did some new beer come along in 1999 and win? Why did Miller Lite “regain” the title in 2000? My only conclusion is that there were different judges – or the same judges but their pallets changed from year to year.

Then there was a car commercial (Mercedes maybe) where the announcer says, “300 horse power is fast. 400 horse power will take your breath away. That’s why we use 451 horse power.”

What? That’s why you use 451 hp – because 400 will take my breath away?

And 451? Where did that number come from? When I count 300, 400, the next number in sequence is not 451. Heck, it’s not even 450.

That reminds me, I always wanted to comment on the Lexus (December to Remember) ads, but always forget. These are the ads where the husband or wife leads the other outside where they find a Lexus with a big red bow around it. Of course the receiver of the gift is ecstatic. I’m not sure about you, but if I purchase a $40,000 vehicle without consulting my wife, ecstatic will not be the reaction.

Not really a commercial, but how about the HUGE NCAA logo in the middle of these basketball courts. I think the one on the North Carolina State court is the biggest. The “funny” thing is that all the players keep slipping on them. Nothing like injuring the product you’re trying to promote.

And I know I mentioned this last year, but can you find a more boring logo; a blue circle with white N-C-A-A in it? Maybe the college administrators should swing by the vocational schools and hire a graphic design student to spice things up a little.

Since the majority of my Saturday morning training group is made of older guys that were total studs in their day (and still are), I particularly like today’s quote of the day;

“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought.” – Matsuo Basho

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lately you have been showing your funny side, and I love it. By the way I don't consider Miller lite a beer, its Ok when you are cutting grass and your neighbor offers you one but I love a local beer called "surly" now thats what you need after runing a 20 miler :)

Anonymous said...

Since you brought up commercials, please explain the Suburu one to me, where there's a guy in a gorilla suit standing with a monkey, and gorilla tells his co-worker he's ready for the big tent event. The co-worker replies it's not that kind of tent, and they show a sign for a small tent event. I have no idea what it means or what relationship the gorilla, monkey, and tent have with each other.

Bart

Chad said...

Thanks Anonynmous. As the old saying goes, "I'll be here all week - try the veal.

I had a conversation with a buddy recently and he said he loved Miller Lite. At first I thought he was joking but he wasn't. To me, it doesn't have any taste. I've heard good stuff about Surly - I believe Nathan raves about it. Bought a Schell's sample 6-pack the other day. That's new for me.

Bart, I don't think I've ever seen that commercial - maybe it's a California thing. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Kel said...

Surly Furious - yummmmmmmmmmm ;)

Anonymous said...

They are talking about a circus tent.

Derek Lindstrom said...

...and what does 451 get you? You never get a good look at the car...or the attention that it attracts, which is what you are obviously looking for when spending $105,000 on a car.

Interesting observations Chad...