Monday, January 07, 2008

SCARY FAST

Duration or distance? That’s the question after Saturday’s group run. One person’s GPS said 16 miles, while my watch said 2:06. Given the poor footing, I know the effort was not 7:50 pace. I figure it was a sub-7:30 effort, so I logged 17 miles instead. That gave me 83 miles for the week on 7 runs.

Yesterday was beautiful with temps in the 40s, yet for some reason I decided to run on the treadmill. Actually, I know why. I wanted to run a stronger paced run and not have to worry about all the melting snow and ice. Plus, I was able to watch the NFL playoffs during the run, which helps make a treadmill run a little more tolerable. I ended up with 12 miles at 7:15 pace.

While temps above 40 degrees are great, temps falling below freezing overnight can make for some treacherous conditions. Therefore, I opted for 45 minutes of x-c skiing this morning. Even the icy conditions while skiing can be difficult as the course was scary fast. I came away with a greater appreciation for downhill skiers. I fell hard on my tailbone once – and that was enough to make me not do that again. Anyway, tonight I’ll get in an easy run during the NCAA championship game.

My latest interview is for all the triathletes out there.

Quote of the day;

“Standing on the starting line, we are all cowards.” – Alberto Salazar

No comments: