Wednesday, January 16, 2008

DOG DAYS

I’m not sure what the equivalent of the dog days of summer are during this time of year, but whatever they are, they’re here. It seems like once a winter I hit a stretch where I’m unmotivated and I just want winter to be done – funny how that tends to coincide with traditionally the coldest stretch of the year.

This was supposed to be the last week of a three-week building period where my mileage would be in the low 80 mpw range. Well, that’s not going to happen.

Monday I tried to cross-train by skiing in the morning. I made it 12 minutes before my cold hands made me call it quits. Later that day I realized that the wind chill was -15 degrees. I guess that explains it. Even with about four different layers, I couldn’t keep my hands warm. It might be time for me to search for some type of hand warming device. Luckily I have a little better luck keeping them warm while running.

That evening I never made it on the treadmill, so that’s my second zero in the span of four days. I guess if I’m going to take a zero, the day after an 18 mile run with a 10K tempo in the middle, is the time to do it.

Tuesday I ran an easy 8 miles. I stayed on the treadmill because the weather-terrorist have led me to believe that bitter cold now occurs around 0 degrees.

This morning I took advantage of the heat wave (18 degrees) and ran 14 miles, including three hill repeats. For some reason, I really like that 15-20 degree temperature range. Too bad that’s all supposed to end abruptly. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be around 5 and then the bottom drops out after that. I’ll do the best I can, but a long run could be a challenge this weekend.

So basically, I’m just trying to stay positive and remind myself of all the hard work I’ve done so far this winter and how winter will be over in another 6-8 weeks. Actually, if I can make another four weeks, I’ll be happy.

It seems like this quote of the day can be applied to all the training talk lately;

“True freedom lies in the realization and calm acceptance of the fact that there may very well be no perfect answer.” – Allen Reid McGinnis

3 comments:

Evan Roberts said...

Another vote for 15-20 degrees. It's easy to dress for those conditions without getting too hot or cold.

Gregg said...

I'd have to say BINGO. This is a very difficult time of the year to stay motivated. I take it one day at a time, even though you have to keep in mind what's to come later in the week. Keep mixing it up, run outside when you can, and hit the 'mill when you have to. I am sure I will be on the 'mill Friday morn. (some talks of -25!)

Bill said...

The older I get the more winter just sucks... it used to be I was good thru the end of January, now the end of December comes and i'm ready for spring. i still would rather run in -10 degree weather than 85 and humid, anyday. Hang in there Chad only 8 weeks till St. Pats(Human Race)