Friday, July 28, 2006

SLEEP IS GOOD

Being a terrible hot weather runner is one of the reasons I was so intrigued by glycerin loading which was discussed in the New York Times article that I posted yesterday. The author received some questions on the article and his answers are posted here. Thanks to Eric for pointing this out. Some further (confusing) discussion of glycerin loading can be found here.

Obviously there’s been lots of focus on Floyd Landis during the last 24 hours. I don’t pretend to understand it all, but I agree with Eric’s comments; 1) why are they leaking results of tests before they are conclusive and 2) there are better drugs out there than testosterone.

Speaking of performance enhancing drugs, have you ever wondered what effect they’d have on you? Well now you can find out (sort of) in this very interesting article from Outside magazine in 2003. It’s rather long, but it’s Friday and your boss is gone – so go ahead and check it out.

Yesterday I ran to the local running store over lunch. I was just going to pick up the regional running magazines, which they give away. Damn if I didn’t leave with another pair of shoes. I already have a pair sitting in my closet that I have worn yet. But these news shoes are one of my favorites (this is my 4th pair), the New Balance 833. They’ve been discontinue and I was able to get them for $59. I couldn’t pass that up.

In the spirit of making my hard days, hard and my easy days, easy, I jumped on the treadmill last night for 5 more very easy miles. That gave me 19 for the day. I knew I’d be tired this morning, so I didn’t bother setting my alarm. That means I’ll have to get my run in tonight. I hate having that “looming” over me, but sleep is good.

Quote of the day;
“A teacher is never to smart to learn from his pupils. But while runners differ, basic principles never change. So it’s a matter of fitting your current practices to fit the event and the individual. See, what’s good for you might not be worth a darn for the next guy.” – Bill Bowerman

No comments: