Sunday, July 21, 2013

WEEKS #5 & #6

It's been 2 weeks since my last training update and I'm happy to report that things are still going in the right direction.  I've had a couple of tempo runs, a marathon paced run and a fairly quick 18 miler.

WEEK #5
Sunday: Day Off
Mon day: 8 miles with 5 @ 6:40 pace on treadmill.
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: 7 miles with Scott and Darrin
Thursday: 5 miles
Friday: 45 miles of bike commuting
Saturday: 18-mile run with Scott and the MDRA group, including some sub-7:20 miles

Total: 43 miles, plus 45 miles on the bike

WEEK #6
Sunday: Day Off
Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: 11 miles
Wednesday: Day Off
Thursday: 9 miles with 6 @ 6:35 pace on treadmill.
Friday: 44 miles of bike commuting
Saturday: 12.5-mile run with Scott and Steve, including 9 @ 7:00 pace

Total: 37.5 miles, plus 44 miles on the bike

If your familiar with Daniels' program, you'll probably notice that I'm not following it as it's exactly laid out.  I've moved things around a little in order do some more up-tempo running with guys like Scott and Steve who are both training for Souix Falls, which is 4 weeks before TCM.  That means I've been running more medium-long runs at a quicker pace than I would if I were by myself.  

Another thing of note, given that I ran 13.1 miles at 6:37 pace, my tempo pace should be faster than my last two treadmill workouts. But I'm trying to take what my body is giving me.  The tempo run during week #5 was a struggle, but during week #6 it went much better.  

I'm a little concerned with the next two weeks because we'll have company next weekend and then we'll be out of town the following weekend.  So unless I can get in a long run next Sunday, it may be mid-August before I can get in a 20 miler.  

No comments: