Thursday, May 09, 2013

THE KIND LIFE

My last post was mostly about The China Study.  I great book with a bad title.  I think the publisher would have been better off with a different name - at least in terms of getting people to randomly pick the book from the shelf at the store or library.  Anyway, it's written by a scientist and he talks a lot about his studies and presents a lot of charts and graphs.  If you're looking for something in an easy-to-read format that just says what's good and bad and why, then check out Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet.


Some of the reviews say she's a little too preachy and that her recipes contain too many hard-to-find ingredients.  I can understand that she can come off as too preachy, but I think she does a good job of explaining why certain foods are good and why some are bad.  They're short, quick explanations, rather than having to read through some scientific study.  Honestly, I haven't read through her recipes yet, so I can't comment on that.

I mentioned this book to my co-workers and they immediately told me about Alicia making news recently for basically regurgitating the food for her toddler.  Okay, that's a little over the top, but it doesn't keep me from recommending her book.

I'm finding out that people definitely need to make their own decision when it comes to eating habits.  These same co-workers and I have been talking about diet a lot more recently.  No only because of my changes, but because they've been doing Weight Watchers and they've also watched Fat Sick & Nearly Dead.  One gal even bought a juicer after watching that.  Even though I've mentioned the books I've read, shows I've watched, and improvements I've experienced, I don't think they're buying it.  

No comments: