Monday, October 03, 2011

PASSING FANCY

If you happened to go to the TCM expo (via 35E north) did you happen to notice the sign on the Children’s hospital that advertised their newly update Emergency Room? Almost makes me wish I’d gotten in an accident so I could check it out. If I’m in an accident in say Bloomington, now I’m going to have to request that the ambulance takes me all the way to St. Paul. Seriously, isn’t that a waste of advertising dollars? If I need an Emergency Room, I’m picking the closest one around.

I really enjoy the excitement and energy surrounding marathon expos. Sunday I woke up to nearly ideal racing conditions – ideal, at least, for the first 2 hours or so. After that, I imagine it got toasty along Summit for the runners. Things like that make me want to run another fall marathon some day. Then I think about running 20-milers in July and August and the moment passes. Maybe I can work something out where I jump in around mile 22 (after the St. Thomas hill) and run pass the TCRC RV at mile 24. Then I’ll loop back to the RV and hang out with everyone for the rest of the race. I don’t have all the details worked out yet, but I have a year to figure them out.

Sunday’s race also got me fired up for the 2012 trials in Houston. I was checking out the Houston 2012 website to get a better idea of the top qualifiers. For the second straight time, runners can also qualify by meeting standards for a half marathon or even a 10K. For a list of athletes that have qualified (as of 9/25), check out this page. One reason I bring it up is because there’s a glaring error. (Hint: look at the different qualifying distances.)

I don’t have a QOD handy today, so I’ll just “borrow” from Letsrun.com.

Quote of the Day;

“I prefer to celebrate and remember how great he was, how great an athlete. I had a wonderful conversation on how fast that he thought he could go. (He believed he could run at least 2:02.) That we won't see him again is hard." – Chicago Marathon director Carey Pinkowski talking about Sammy Wanjiru

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

I don't think you could convince them that you're young enough for Children's Hospital.