Monday, March 14, 2011

IN MY ABSENCE

I’m trying to determine if it’s good or bad that I don’t have some massive weekend of training to report. On one hand it’s probably a good thing because I’m sure my body can’t handle mileage like last weekend over and over. Plus, I’m guessing that type of training is not needed every weekend. However, spring break starts this Friday for our family. With a Disney cruise on the horizon, that shoots the next 2 weekends in the foot. The best I can hope for is a long run the day after returning.

In any case, I’m not going to worry too much. I’m already feeling a lot fitter than just a couple of months ago when I was about 6-8 pounds heavier. Once I return I’ll have about 6 weeks until R-cubed. That’ll be enough for two more big weekends.

In my absence, here are some blogs I’ve come across recently.

Former Gopher, Andrew Carlson, who’s back with Team USA Minnesota for a second stint. He has some of the best interviews on Flotrack and his blog is pretty good too.

My good friend Jenna Boren looks to be putting her Dr. skills to the test and blog about injury diagnosis, treatments, etc. Note: you may have to shift through some stuff about some team called the Packers. Feel free to reach out to her and tell her to blog more often.

Finally, back in February, Ian Sharman, ran the Rocky Raccoon 100 miler in 12:44:33.

I’ll give you a minute to do the math.

Yes, that’s 7:50/mile!!! If you read his (long) race report, you’d think he just won a local 5K in 20 minutes.

And how did he follow up that race? He simply set a marathon World Record for super heroes when he ran 2:40 dressed as Spiderman at Napa Valley. Unfortunately, that only lasted a week because Michael Wardian ran 2:35 last weekend.

Quote of the Day;

“Some might say that it’s easier to be the runner than the runner’s family.” – Rob de Castella

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Hi Chad -

Have you cruised before? I have and each time I come home, I find that it takes several days (depending on the length of cruise that we were on) to ease back in to running. The reason is the rocking motion/loss of balance that I have (and I know others get it too) after being at sea for so long and then returning to land. For me, running is very weird feeling (off balance, dizzy) for several days and I know there is no way I could do a long run the day after a cruise. Just my two cents. Hopefully you are different!

Eric said...

Unfortunately, that only lasted a week because Michael Wardian ran 2:35 last weekend.

These are the kinds of things Wardian does that make him seem like a huge douche. Mike, can you leave JUST ONE obscure record to someone else? Jesus.