Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I NEEDED THAT

Man, last week really sucked. I basically had a sore throat and stuffed up nose from Sunday through Thursday. And I only managed 24 miles on 4 runs – each of them crappy. I basically spent the week cursing the fact that I ever started running. Then on Sunday, the sun came out and the temps were in the mid-to-upper 50s, and I had a great run.

Rarely when I run by myself do I average below 8-minute pace. But on Sunday, I managed 10 miles at 7:30 pace. I didn’t feel fast or smooth, but I felt strong. Hopefully that’s the residual effect of skiing all winter – probably combined with pent up frustration from the previous week. In any case, I needed that!

I still don’t have any direction planned for 2010. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been thinking about just doing some new events; 50K, Paavo Nurmi Marathon and a mountain bike race. However, part of me wants to take a crack at a fast fall marathon. A lot of this will depend on whether or not I get into the mountain bike race, which has a lottery system. That race is in September and I think it’d be difficult to train for it and a fast marathon at the same time. And there’s still the question as to whether or not I should run Grandma’s Marathon this year.

Right now I’m thinking, if I get into the mt. bike race I run Grandma’s in June, a 50K in July, Paavo in August and the mt. bike race in September. If I don’t get into the mt. bike race, then I’ll focus on a fall marathon. How’s that for narrowing things down?

Finally, congrats to the Team USA Minnesota runners on their performance at the Gate River 15K in Jacksonville. On the women’s side Katie McGregor won her fifth US title with a PR of 49:51, beating a very strong women’s field. Meghan Armstrong was 16th in 53:39 and Michelle Frey was 22nd in 54:33. Although she’s not on Team USA Minnesota, last year’s Runner of the Year, Jennifer Houck placed 15th in 53:05. And on the men’s side, Vega placed 3rd in 43:56 Lehm was 4th in 44:00, Smyth was 7th in 44:42 and Moen was 20th in 46:00. And Chris Erichsen, again, not on Team USA Minnesota but 3rd in last year’s ROY rankings placed 25th in 46:38.

Quote of the day;

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

No comments: