Friday, October 05, 2007

COMPETITIVE ASPECTS

Now I remember why I didn’t post for nearly a week, I didn’t want people trying to sway my decision not to run. Yes, I’m sure I could go out and run 26.2 miles. I may even be able to run around 7:00 pace – at best. But, thinking long-term – as in next year – I think the costs exceed the benefits; costs being the pounding my body would take and the number of weeks I’d have to delay my next buildup due to recovery, benefits being a t-shirt and a medal.

To paraphrase what someone once told me in an interview, “I’m interested in the competitive aspects of the sport, rather than the ‘up close and personal’ aspects.” And by “competitive aspects” I’m talking about how I compete against myself. Telling me, “Well you’d still be able to beat me if you ran.” doesn’t do it for me. I’d at least like to have a fighting chance against my past performances. I don’t think that will happen. So I’ll give up a 3:10 marathon if it means I have a better chance of running faster the next time around.

I thought I’d close the week with some links;

Here’s a story on Team USA Minnesota’s Chris Lundstrom and one on Hansons-Brooks Distance Project.

Also, Jason Lehmkuhle and Katie McGregor have updated their journals. Jason only updates his once or twice a year, so enjoy it.

Finally, I’ll throw out this article on Darrell General who’s attempting to become “the first person to qualify six times” for the Olympic Trials. Maybe he’s not aware but Minnesotan Bev Docherty has qualified and finished all six of the women’s trials.

Quote of the day;

“I ran a 2:22:36. “When I look back, I’m extremely frustrated that I never ran a sub-2:20. It’s difficult when you’re working 40, 45 hours a week and you’re trying to train between 80 and 100 miles a week. It just didn’t happen for me. It totally frustrates me still.” – Bill King, now 45

1 comment:

Rocco said...

I like that last quote Chad. Probable sums how all of us disance runners. Outside of a select few, like Bannister or El Guerrouj, most of us probably are always a little frustrated more often than not. We get older and slower, and even in our peak, someone is always ahead of us who we think we should knock off.

See you out on the roads.